Motorists urged to take care
MOTORISTS in Norfolk are being urged to take extra care when travelling throughout the county today as more snow is expected. Norfolk Constabulary reported that more than 20 collisions took place across the county from 6am to 2.
MOTORISTS in Norfolk are being urged to take extra care when travelling throughout the county today as more snow is expected.
Norfolk Constabulary reported that more than 20 collisions took place across the county from 6am to 2.30pm today - and it is believed ice and snow may have been contributory factors for many.
Such incidents have taken place throughout Norfolk in areas including King's Lynn, Thetford, Norwich and Cromer.
Motorists seem to be heeding advice with less than a handful of the collisions resulting in injuries including:
You may also want to watch:
With driving conditions remaining hazardous officers are re-issuing the following advice to drivers:
Make sure all your car lights are working and you have no failed bulbs. Ensure that dirt, salt and snow is cleared away from light fixtures.
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 2 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 3 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 4 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 5 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 6 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 7 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
Always ensure all windows are fully cleared of snow, frost and condensation before setting off on a journey - it is illegal to drive with obscured vision.
Also clear snow from the top of the car as this can fall down and obscure your windscreen while you are driving.
Keep windscreen washer fluid topped up as windscreens quickly become dirty from traffic spray and salt from the roads.
Make sure you have sufficient fuel for your journey. Keep the fuel tank topped up.
Give yourself extra time for your journey and drive at a constant speed. Accept your journey will take longer and don't take risks.
Take a mobile telephone with you and make sure it is fully charged. Carry a mobile charger in the car.
If you get stuck in the snow stay with your car, but in an emergency if you do need to leave it, park it out of the main traffic route, where it won't cause an obstruction when conditions ease. Leave a contact number on the inside of the windscreen and return to your car at the first opportunity you have.