MP on ego trip
DAVID Davis is surely on an ego trip in calling for a by-election in his Hull constituency, particularly “on a platform of defending British liberties.
DAVID Davis is surely on an ego trip in calling for a by-election in his Hull constituency, particularly “on a platform of defending British liberties."
It wasn't the Labour government who introduced the infamous SUSS laws which led to breakdown in race relations and riots in major cities. It wasn't the Labour government who set up road blocks and searched cars of those suspected of supporting the miners (including some from Lowestoft). Nor was it the Labour government that tapped the phones of CND supporters and banned Sinn Fein leaders from talking on the media and introduced internment (imprisonment for years without trial) and wasn't a Labour Prime Minister who gated off Downing Street to prevent public access.
The few days extra extension on the detention of terror suspects with the safeguards of both judicial and Parliamentary agreement seem to me to be reasonable and are certainly more libertarian than were granted by the Tories during their administration.
Mr Davis has been an MP for more than 20 years and a minister for many of them. He can't claim lack of culpability for such draconian moves. He is behaving like a petulant child.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 2 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 4 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 5 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 6 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 NessFest to return to Lowestoft with free events all week
- 9 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise