MP warns against cold callers
WAVENEY MP Bob Blizzard has urged people to be vigilant against cold calling sales people after an elderly couple from Beccles were tricked.He particularly urged against those asking for immediate commitment.
WAVENEY MP Bob Blizzard has urged people to be vigilant against cold calling sales people after an elderly couple from Beccles were tricked.
He particularly urged against those asking for immediate commitment.
'It has been brought to my attention that currently there are sales people for the energy companies walking door to door in Waveney, trying to persuade people to change from one power company to another,' said Mr Blizzard. 'In a recent case Mr and Mrs Ronald Smith of Beccles, an elderly couple, were persuaded to sign up on the doorstep to change to Scottish Power, when in fact they would gain nothing from the change and likely to face higher charges from changing.
'My advice to everyone is do not sign anything until you have had a chance to think about it or a chance to get a second opinion. In particular never give any financial details, such as bank account numbers.'
You may also want to watch:
If anybody has had any problems with any cold callers from the energy companies they can call OFGEM on 08454040506 and if you think any callers are suspicious then call the police 01473 613500.
- 1 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 2 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 3 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 4 'Don't ask, don't get' - Town council says no to Lowestoft city status bid
- 5 Refurbished seafront toilet block set on fire in vandalism spree
- 6 Flood-hit school hails 'amazing' community response
- 7 Thieves steal Range Rover from street in Lowestoft
- 8 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 9 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 10 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary