MP warns against cold callers
WAVENEY MP Bob Blizzard has urged people to be vigilant against cold calling sales people after an elderly couple from Beccles were tricked.He particularly urged against those asking for immediate commitment.
WAVENEY MP Bob Blizzard has urged people to be vigilant against cold calling sales people after an elderly couple from Beccles were tricked.
He particularly urged against those asking for immediate commitment.
'It has been brought to my attention that currently there are sales people for the energy companies walking door to door in Waveney, trying to persuade people to change from one power company to another,' said Mr Blizzard. 'In a recent case Mr and Mrs Ronald Smith of Beccles, an elderly couple, were persuaded to sign up on the doorstep to change to Scottish Power, when in fact they would gain nothing from the change and likely to face higher charges from changing.
'My advice to everyone is do not sign anything until you have had a chance to think about it or a chance to get a second opinion. In particular never give any financial details, such as bank account numbers.'
You may also want to watch:
If anybody has had any problems with any cold callers from the energy companies they can call OFGEM on 08454040506 and if you think any callers are suspicious then call the police 01473 613500.
- 1 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
- 2 Lowestoft man fined £2,000 for noise offences after warning
- 3 New restaurant offering 'finest Asian cuisine' opens in Lowestoft
- 4 School sites targeted as vandals cause damage across Lowestoft
- 5 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 6 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 7 Bomb disposal unit detonate device found on beach
- 8 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 9 National recognition as care home 'heroes' are honoured
- 10 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch