MPs get update on partnership
MEMBERS of Parliament from across Suffolk and Norfolk met last night (Wednesday) for their first working meeting on the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
Brandon Lewis, MP for Great Yarmouth, hosted the inter-party gathering at the House of Commons which was also attended by the leaders of Suffolk and Norfolk county councils and other members of the New Anglia Development Group which is overseeing the launch of the partnership.
LEPs are being introduced by the Government replace regional development agencies, such as the East of England Development Agency (EEDA).
Last night's meeting included a briefing by the joint chairmen of New Anglia, Andy Wood, chief executive of Suffolk-based Adnams, and Peter Barry, managing director of Norfolk-based Pasta Foods. Mr Lewis said: 'Andy and Peter are giving terrific business leadership to the development of New Anglia. Tonight was a great opportunity to learn what progress has been made and ensure that through the LEP we take advantage of opportunities for our area.'
Mr Wood said: 'Tonight was another important milestone in the development of the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership. If we are to champion Norfolk and Suffolk and bring investment and new jobs to New Anglia, it is fundamental that we work hand in hand with our parliamentary representatives.
You may also want to watch:
'It was evident from tonight's Westminster briefing that MPs, business and council leaders share a passion for our LEP and the need for it to make a real difference to the lives of people across our two counties. New Anglia needs to have a voice in Whitehall and tonight is the beginning of that work.'
Mr Barry added: 'We have ensured our MPs are up to speed with the rapid development of New Anglia and that they are involved and supportive. We want to harness their energy, passion and powers of influence to help shape a growing economy.'
- 1 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
- 2 Lowestoft man fined £2,000 for noise offences after warning
- 3 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 4 New restaurant offering 'finest Asian cuisine' opens in Lowestoft
- 5 School sites targeted as vandals cause damage across Lowestoft
- 6 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 7 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 8 Bomb disposal unit detonate device found on beach
- 9 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 10 National recognition as care home 'heroes' are honoured