MPs get update on partnership
MEMBERS of Parliament from across Suffolk and Norfolk met last night (Wednesday) for their first working meeting on the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
Brandon Lewis, MP for Great Yarmouth, hosted the inter-party gathering at the House of Commons which was also attended by the leaders of Suffolk and Norfolk county councils and other members of the New Anglia Development Group which is overseeing the launch of the partnership.
LEPs are being introduced by the Government replace regional development agencies, such as the East of England Development Agency (EEDA).
Last night's meeting included a briefing by the joint chairmen of New Anglia, Andy Wood, chief executive of Suffolk-based Adnams, and Peter Barry, managing director of Norfolk-based Pasta Foods. Mr Lewis said: 'Andy and Peter are giving terrific business leadership to the development of New Anglia. Tonight was a great opportunity to learn what progress has been made and ensure that through the LEP we take advantage of opportunities for our area.'
Mr Wood said: 'Tonight was another important milestone in the development of the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership. If we are to champion Norfolk and Suffolk and bring investment and new jobs to New Anglia, it is fundamental that we work hand in hand with our parliamentary representatives.
'It was evident from tonight's Westminster briefing that MPs, business and council leaders share a passion for our LEP and the need for it to make a real difference to the lives of people across our two counties. New Anglia needs to have a voice in Whitehall and tonight is the beginning of that work.'
Mr Barry added: 'We have ensured our MPs are up to speed with the rapid development of New Anglia and that they are involved and supportive. We want to harness their energy, passion and powers of influence to help shape a growing economy.'
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' - Warning issued after cliff fall
- 2 Lowestoft's £24.9 million funding for regeneration projects approved
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 4 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after man made lewd comment
- 5 Three-bed flat on Lowestoft beach with sea views on sale for £400k
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Southwold woman saved cyclist's life after crashing into river
- 8 Bank holiday beer festival to take place at seafront pavilion
- 9 Comedian Andy Parsons to perform at two coastal towns in the same night
- 10 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week