MPs to repay more than �1m in expenses
SIR Thomas Legg today hit out at the "deeply flawed" House of Commons expenses system as his long awaited review was published.Sir Thomas's review recommended that 390 MPs repay a total of �1.
SIR Thomas Legg today hit out at the "deeply flawed" House of Commons expenses system as his long awaited review was published.
Sir Thomas's review recommended that 390 MPs repay a total of �1.3 million. Almost �800,000 has been repaid since April last year, it said.
The appeals process overseen by former judge Sir Paul Kennedy cut the repayments demanded by �185,000 to a total of �1.12 million, according to the report.
The highest single repayment will be made by Barbara Follett, Minister for the East of England, who will repay �42,458.
You may also want to watch:
In Suffolk and Essex, Bernard Jenkin and John Gummer faced the largest repayment bills.
Our MPs repayment details are as follows:-
- 1 Duo spared jail for breaking birthday party-goer's jaw in two places
- 2 Large crowds flock to popular herring and ale fayre
- 3 New service manager unveiled at care home in Lowestoft
- 4 Man charged with robbery after threatening staff with toy gun
- 5 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 6 Alexa Auto stolen from car during early morning theft in Lowestoft
- 7 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 New lease of life with go-ahead for apartments above former McDonalds
- 9 Further overnight works scheduled for A47 with north Lowestoft closure
- 10 Man appears in court charged with toy gun robbery in Lowestoft
- Bob Blizzard (Labour, Waveney): �2,434.92 to repay
- Simon Burns (Conservative, Chelmsford West): �3,731.92 repaid
- Douglas Carswell (Conservative, Harwich): �2,159 repaid
- John Gummer (Conservative, Suffolk Coastal): �29,398.46 repaid
- Sir Alan Haselhurst (Conservative, Saffron Walden): �14,574.82 repaid
- Bernard Jenkin (Conservative, Essex North): �36,909.17 repaid
- Sir Michael Lord (Conservative, Central Suffolk and North Ipswich): �5,074.48 to repay
- Chris Mole (Labour, Ipswich): No issues
- Brooks Newmark (Conservative, Braintree): No issues
- David Ruffley (Conservative, Bury St Edmunds): No issues
- Richard Spring (Conservative, West Suffolk): �510 repaid
- Bob Russell (Lib Dem, Colchester): �4,539.45 repaid
- John Whittingdale (Conservative), Maldon and Chelmsford East): �301.58 repaid
- Tim Yeo (Conservative, South Suffolk): No issues
- Ivan Henderson (Labour, Harwich): �149.25 to repay
- Alan Hurst (Labour, Braintree): No issues