Music lovers flock to enjoy popular annual festival held in memory of Dean ‘Carl’ Lawson
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a popular music festival, set up in memory of a Lowestoft man, have hailed the start of this year's event.
About 20 bands and performers have already taken to the stage as hundreds of people have turned out for CARLfest.
The sixth annual event got under way on Friday evening at the Mariners Rest pub in Rotterdam Road, Lowestoft. With 28 bands and solo singers performing, the festival is due to finish on Monday night (August 28),
The event raises funds for the charity Care And Real Lovin' (CARL) charity, which was set up Dean 'Carl' Lawson after he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
Mr Lawson died five years ago, in August 2012 at the age of 37, but his selfless efforts to help people with serious and terminal illnesses are being carried on by his friends.
You may also want to watch:
Darren Steger-Lewis, a trustee of Care And Real Lovin', and co-organiser of CARLfest, said: 'We had a really good first night, with a good turnout and eight acts performing,
'We raised about £600 on the first night alone and the aim is to raise £5,000.'
- 1 Calls for netting to be removed after red-listed birds die
- 2 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 5 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 6 Local elections 2021: Green gains and Conservative majority in east Suffolk
- 7 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 'Absolutely amazing' - Visually impaired teen completes walking challenge
- 10 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
Since the festival began, more than £20,000 has been donated on behalf of the foundation to help people locally who are suffering financially due to ill health.'
? For more information on CARLfest, search for Care and Real Lovin' (CARL) on Facebook.