New car-parking plan for Lowestoft
PEOPLE power has led to a cash-strapped council revising its plans for a multi-storey car park.A fortnight after The Journal revealed that the Battery Green car park, in Lowestoft, would be closed in the evenings there was a joy for patrons of the Marina Theatre this week after an alternative free parking scheme was offered.
PEOPLE power has led to a cash-strapped council revising its plans for a multi-storey car park.
A fortnight after The Journal revealed that the Battery Green car park, in Lowestoft, would be closed in the evenings there was a joy for patrons of the Marina Theatre this week after an alternative free parking scheme was offered.
'Waveney District Council has revised the evening opening hours of Battery Green car park and has confirmed its commitment to patrons of the Marina Theatre with a free parking scheme for specified evening events,' a spokesman said yesterday .
From April 1 the multi-storey car park will close at 7pm. However, it will now be opened for major evening events and customers can check with the theatre's box office.
You may also want to watch:
'On such occasions, there will be no charge to theatre goers at evening performances on production of their theatre tickets at the barrier on exit,' the council spokesman said.
And to further support the remaining theatre programme, car parks at Clapham Road and Whapload Road will be free after 6pm each evening from April 1.
- 1 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 2 'Forever an Olympian': Charley Davison bows out at Tokyo games
- 3 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital from popular beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 5 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 6 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 9 Olympic quest continues for Lowestoft's GB boxing star Charley Davison
- 10 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
'This will also enable patrons of other late-night venues in the town to park in these car parks without charge,' the spokesman added.
Councillor Stephen Ardley, portfolio holder for health and wellbeing said: 'A decision was made to revise the late-night operation of Battery Green car park. However, we acknowledged that such a revision could have had an impact on the Marina Theatre, especially with the number of major artistes and events presented. It was always our intention to come up with a parking scheme that took account of this issue and a positive way forward has now been agreed with our partners and car park operators, Waveney Norse.
Martin Halliday, manager of the Marina Theatre added: 'We were initially concerned that closing Battery Green at 7pm could possibly inconvenience our customers. However, we are pleased that the car park will be opened for our major events. We will be working closely with Waveney Norse to facilitate the smooth running of the scheme, for the benefit of our customers.'