New facility for Reydon youngsters
A NEW teen shelter for youths in Reydon is set to be unveiled this weekend.Reydon Parish Council has provided the new facility for youngsters to use as a safe place to socialise in Reydon.
A NEW teen shelter for youths in Reydon is set to be unveiled this weekend.
Reydon Parish Council has provided the new facility for youngsters to use as a safe place to socialise in Reydon. The shelter has been built on the recreation ground that runs along Cox's Lane.
The site has already had a modern playground for children installed and funded by the parish council.
The teen shelter will be unveiled by Paddy Walker, the parish council chairman on Sunday (April 26) at noon. Young people who live in the surrounding area are invited to come along for a barbecue with the first 50 hot dogs being given away for free.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a basketball challenge with cash prizes sponsored by local business owner Bruce Boggis and young people will be given the opportunity to have their say in what further developments they would like to see in the area. The mobile police station will also be on site offering free cycle marking and mobile phone coding. There will also be a 'Teen Swap' encouraging people to bring items they would like to swap such as clothes, CDs and DVDs.
Police Community Support Officer Tracey Mason, of the Southwold Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: 'I often spoke to young people in the playground who had nowhere else to meet. I had to make them realise that when they were meeting in the playground it stopped the younger children from using the play area, as they felt intimidated. They moved to the benches at the other side of the Rec but I'm really pleased that they now have their own space.'
- 1 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
- 2 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 3 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 4 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 5 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 6 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 7 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 8 Lowestoft man fined £2,000 for noise offences after warning
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
Paddy Walker added: 'Reydon Parish Council is aware there is a lack of facilities for teenagers in the village and are very pleased to provide a teen shelter on the Recreation Ground.
'This together with combination football and basketball units will hopefully give these young adults a place to sit, chat and play within the village. We would like them to use and enjoy the teen shelter as their special place in Reydon.'