New facility for Reydon youngsters
A NEW teen shelter for youths in Reydon is set to be unveiled this weekend.Reydon Parish Council has provided the new facility for youngsters to use as a safe place to socialise in Reydon.
A NEW teen shelter for youths in Reydon is set to be unveiled this weekend.
Reydon Parish Council has provided the new facility for youngsters to use as a safe place to socialise in Reydon. The shelter has been built on the recreation ground that runs along Cox's Lane.
The site has already had a modern playground for children installed and funded by the parish council.
The teen shelter will be unveiled by Paddy Walker, the parish council chairman on Sunday (April 26) at noon. Young people who live in the surrounding area are invited to come along for a barbecue with the first 50 hot dogs being given away for free.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a basketball challenge with cash prizes sponsored by local business owner Bruce Boggis and young people will be given the opportunity to have their say in what further developments they would like to see in the area. The mobile police station will also be on site offering free cycle marking and mobile phone coding. There will also be a 'Teen Swap' encouraging people to bring items they would like to swap such as clothes, CDs and DVDs.
Police Community Support Officer Tracey Mason, of the Southwold Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: 'I often spoke to young people in the playground who had nowhere else to meet. I had to make them realise that when they were meeting in the playground it stopped the younger children from using the play area, as they felt intimidated. They moved to the benches at the other side of the Rec but I'm really pleased that they now have their own space.'
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 7 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 9 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 10 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
Paddy Walker added: 'Reydon Parish Council is aware there is a lack of facilities for teenagers in the village and are very pleased to provide a teen shelter on the Recreation Ground.
'This together with combination football and basketball units will hopefully give these young adults a place to sit, chat and play within the village. We would like them to use and enjoy the teen shelter as their special place in Reydon.'