New funding helps to open training workshop for woodturners group in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A woodturners group officially opened its new training workshop thanks to funding from a Big Lottery grant.
The new funding, which totals over £4,200, has enabled Waveney and District Woodturners to buy two small lathes and associated equipment, two sets of high quality turning tools, a tool sharpening system and sufficient safety equipment to ensure that all training is carried out in a safe and controlled environment.
The chairman, Brian Wooden, opened the evening held at Mutford Village Hall on Wednesday, September 30, with invited guests including mayor Stephen Ardley and Tom Kittle of Lapwing Woodturning along.
Mr Wooden said: 'A taster training session for beginners encouraged the committee to apply for this grant as it felt it would help in attracting new members and in promoting the art and craft of woodturning.
'Our celebration allowed us to display this equipment to guests and club members
You may also want to watch:
and following the welcome Tom Kittle was kind enough to give a short demonstration on one of the lathes to officially open our training workshop.
'Tom's demonstration was followed by a cheese and
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 3 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 4 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 5 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 6 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 7 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 8 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 9 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
wine buffet which gave
guests and members the chance to circulate and to view the impressive exhibition of members work.'
Mr Ardley added: 'It is nice to see a result from a lottery grant. You hear about lots of people putting in for grants and you never really hear anything else. I hope that the equipment that they have got from the grant expands their club even more.'
Regular club nights take place at Mutford Village Hall on the second Thursday of each month when demonstrations are given by nationally noted turners. The new workshop evenings take place on the last Monday of the month at the same venue.
For more information contact Mr Wooden on 01502 740625.
Are you benefiting from a cash boost in Lowestoft? Email firstname.lastname@example.org