New hotel opens in Lowestoft
A �2.3m hotel has finally opened for business in Lowestoft - eight months after endangered newts brought the project to a standstill.The 47 room Travelodge, off Leisure Way, welcomed its first customers this week.
A �2.3m hotel has finally opened for business in Lowestoft - eight months after endangered newts brought the project to a standstill.
The 47 room Travelodge, off Leisure Way, welcomed its first customers this week. It was due to open in time for Christmas, but building work was delayed last year when great crested newts, which are protected by law, were found living in a pond on the site and had to be moved.
The new hotel - one of five being built by Travelodge as part of an �18m expansion scheme - will be officially opened on March 3.
As well as offering accommodation for people visiting the town, the development has created 12 full time jobs.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Travelodge said: 'Everyone we have recruited for the new hotel has been found through the local Jobcentre Plus as part of our local employment partnership. Where possible, we attempt to recruit local people.'
- 1 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 2 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 3 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 4 Repair works to be carried out along Lowestoft north Denes
- 5 Hunt continues for Mercedes driver who crashed into homes in Lowestoft
- 6 Trio 'released under investigation' following arrests outside petrol station
- 7 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 8 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 9 How visiting restrictions are easing at Norfolk's hospitals
- 10 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid