New hotel opens in Lowestoft
A �2.3m hotel has finally opened for business in Lowestoft - eight months after endangered newts brought the project to a standstill.The 47 room Travelodge, off Leisure Way, welcomed its first customers this week.
A �2.3m hotel has finally opened for business in Lowestoft - eight months after endangered newts brought the project to a standstill.
The 47 room Travelodge, off Leisure Way, welcomed its first customers this week. It was due to open in time for Christmas, but building work was delayed last year when great crested newts, which are protected by law, were found living in a pond on the site and had to be moved.
The new hotel - one of five being built by Travelodge as part of an �18m expansion scheme - will be officially opened on March 3.
As well as offering accommodation for people visiting the town, the development has created 12 full time jobs.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Travelodge said: 'Everyone we have recruited for the new hotel has been found through the local Jobcentre Plus as part of our local employment partnership. Where possible, we attempt to recruit local people.'
- 1 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 2 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 5 Charity walkers celebrate some unexpected news
- 6 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 7 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 8 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 9 How well do you know Lowestoft?
- 10 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk