New hotel opens in Lowestoft
A �2.3m hotel has finally opened for business in Lowestoft - eight months after endangered newts brought the project to a standstill.The 47 room Travelodge, off Leisure Way, welcomed its first customers this week.
A �2.3m hotel has finally opened for business in Lowestoft - eight months after endangered newts brought the project to a standstill.
The 47 room Travelodge, off Leisure Way, welcomed its first customers this week. It was due to open in time for Christmas, but building work was delayed last year when great crested newts, which are protected by law, were found living in a pond on the site and had to be moved.
The new hotel - one of five being built by Travelodge as part of an �18m expansion scheme - will be officially opened on March 3.
As well as offering accommodation for people visiting the town, the development has created 12 full time jobs.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Travelodge said: 'Everyone we have recruited for the new hotel has been found through the local Jobcentre Plus as part of our local employment partnership. Where possible, we attempt to recruit local people.'
- 1 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 2 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 3 Minke whale to be removed from Lowestoft beach
- 4 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 7 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 8 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 9 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 10 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death