New housing plans for Lowestoft estate revealed
Victoria NichollsFresh proposals to build on the site of a car sales showroom near Lowestoft have been submitted despite three previous bids being turned down.Victoria Nicholls
Fresh proposals to build on the site of a car sales showroom near Lowestoft have been submitted despite three previous bids being turned down.
The plot at Four Acres in Rushmere Road, Carlton Colville has been a site of interest for developers over the past few years. Until now, the most recent proposal was submitted by Flagship Housing Group to build 14 affordable homes on the site of Carter's car showroom, but was turned down in June 2008.
Planning officers from Waveney District Council said the development would be outside the defined settlement limits for Carlton Colville and parish councillors objected on the grounds that access to the site would be off a blind corner.
The housing group appealed against the decision but in March a government appointed inspector dismissed the appeal, saying that potential problems with flooding and road safety outweighed the benefit of affordable homes.
You may also want to watch:
Now Flagship Housing Group has submitted a new application, seeking permission to demolish the existing showroom, workshop and flat, and build 12 terraced two-storey houses and two semi-detached bungalows.
Waveney District Council's development control committee is expected to make a decision early next year.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 4 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 5 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 6 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 7 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 8 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 9 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 10 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in