New initiative invites elderly locals to Stradbroke Court in Lowestoft for Christmas dinner
- Credit: Archant © 2011
A Lowestoft care home is running an initiative designed to prevent elderly people from being alone on Christmas Day.
Stradbroke Court will host 'Don't Spend Christmas Alone' and invite over 75s to the home on Green Drive for Christmas dinner and an afternoon of activities.
Research conducted by charities such as Age UK has frequently shown that hundreds of thousands of elderly people spend Christmas Day alone.
Staff members at Stradbroke Court are hoping to diminish the number of people in the local area who are without company during the festive period.
After the turkey dinner, there will be a movie afternoon in the cinema room and crafts with the home's activity coordinator.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who would like to attend is asked to donate £5 towards the cost of the dinner. Attendees are advised to arrive at 12pm, with Christmas dinner being served at 12.30pm.
To book a place call Stradbroke Court on 01502 322799.
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 4 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 5 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 6 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 7 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 8 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 9 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 10 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park