New initiative invites elderly locals to Stradbroke Court in Lowestoft for Christmas dinner
- Credit: Archant © 2011
A Lowestoft care home is running an initiative designed to prevent elderly people from being alone on Christmas Day.
Stradbroke Court will host 'Don't Spend Christmas Alone' and invite over 75s to the home on Green Drive for Christmas dinner and an afternoon of activities.
Research conducted by charities such as Age UK has frequently shown that hundreds of thousands of elderly people spend Christmas Day alone.
Staff members at Stradbroke Court are hoping to diminish the number of people in the local area who are without company during the festive period.
After the turkey dinner, there will be a movie afternoon in the cinema room and crafts with the home's activity coordinator.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who would like to attend is asked to donate £5 towards the cost of the dinner. Attendees are advised to arrive at 12pm, with Christmas dinner being served at 12.30pm.
To book a place call Stradbroke Court on 01502 322799.
- 1 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 2 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 3 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 4 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 5 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 6 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 7 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 8 Flood-hit school hails 'amazing' community response
- 9 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 10 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man