New-look centre set for reopening
FINAL preparations are being made for the opening of a new-look resource centre serving Lowestoft and Waveney.The Kirkley Centre on London Road South has been a focal point for the community for several years but it has struggled to reach its full potential, and many local people will have walked or driven past it without giving it a second glance.
FINAL preparations are being made for the opening of a new-look resource centre serving Lowestoft and Waveney.
The Kirkley Centre on London Road South has been a focal point for the community for several years but it has struggled to reach its full potential, and many local people will have walked or driven past it without giving it a second glance.
But that is now all set to change.
The Waveney Community Forum has completed the purchase of centre, and work is now taking place to prepare the building ahead of its reopening on May17, and to attract people and businesses interested in using its facilities.
You may also want to watch:
'We're really excited as we enter this new phase,' said Christine Pinsent, who chairs the forum's trustees. 'We hope the centre will offer a great service to as many people as possible. We want to see it become a well-used and valued part of the local community, offering a variety of services to the voluntary and community sector and offering professional resources to businesses.'
The building is currently undergoing internal alterations and redecoration to ensure it is up and running from the first week in May.
- 1 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 4 Peter Aldous: 'Great opportunities for future of special Lowestoft'
- 5 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 6 What is the future for Lowestoft's historic high street?
- 7 'Help us make a new outside space': Appeal to transform school's playground
- 8 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 9 Brexit: What does it mean for Lowestoft's fishing industry?
- 10 Lockdown inspires key worker to lose six stone in weight
It has space that can be hired out for meetings or rented out in the longer term, its caf� is due to be re-opened to serve the community and visitors with food and drinks, and a friendly welcome is being promised on the front desk.
Waveney Community Forum will soon be based at the centre and team members will be on hand to support and develop the voluntary and community sector, offering a variety of services including training, one to one support, access to funding information, forum membership, advice surgeries, equipment hire and research and admin support.
The centre is officially re-launching on Friday, May 21, giving people the chance to take a look around and meet the team.
Refreshments will be provided.
Martyn Burnside, chief officer of the forum, said: 'We're excited and optimistic about what the future holds and are looking forward to developing the Kirkley Centre to fulfil its potential as an effective resource centre, serving Lowestoft, Waveney and beyond.'
To contact the Kirkley Centre, ring 01502-501996.