New police chief takes up reins
A NEW police commander for east Suffolk has started work this week.Chief Superintendent Mark Cordell will cover towns such as Ipswich, Felixstowe, Woodbridge, Leiston, Beccles and Lowestoft.
A NEW police commander for east Suffolk has started work this week.
Chief Superintendent Mark Cordell will cover towns such as Ipswich, Felixstowe, Woodbridge, Leiston, Beccles and Lowestoft.
He has been a police officer in Suffolk for 28 years, serving in various locations with the majority of his time spent in the west of the county.
The 47-year-old, who lives near Bury St Edmunds with his wife and family, said: 'I am really looking forward to the exciting challenge of commanding the east area. Having previously commanded the west area I feel I now have the full set.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'Our recently revamped Safer Neighbourhood Teams are focussing on delivering community policing and I want us to be in tune with what our communities want from us.
'I do have concerns about the amount of time and resources that we are spending on policing the night time economy. As a matter of priority I will be looking to ascertain exactly what this is costing the east area and will be looking to engage with local authorities and licensed establishments to work together to reduce this commitment if at all possible.'
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 7 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 9 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 10 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft