Priest remains suspended despite police case being dropped
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A vicar who was arrested as a result of a police investigation will have no further action taken against him by the police.
Matthew Payne, 57, was suspended from his position at Christ Church, Lowestoft, in September last year.
While Suffolk Police have confirmed they are taking no further action against Mr Payne, he remains suspended from the Church of England while bishops consider his conduct.
Mr Payne reportedly 'stepped back' from the ministry on Sunday, September 29 after being arrested in connection with an ongoing investigation ten days earlier.
The Diocese of Norwich said that, while the police investigation has concluded no further action will be taken, the Church "takes all allegations of misconduct seriously" and made clear Mr Payne remains suspended while his conduct was considered by bishops.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Payne has been approached for a comment.
- 1 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 2 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 4 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 5 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 6 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 NessFest to return to Lowestoft with free events all week
- 9 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise