No stand to be in Bobby's name
IPSWICH Town are ready to accede to Sir Bobby Robson's request and NOT name a stand after him immediately after his death.A petition had been run by tractorboys.
IPSWICH Town are ready to accede to Sir Bobby Robson's request and NOT name a stand after him immediately after his death.
A petition had been run by tractorboys.com, which can be reached via the official club website, and the idea was discussed at board level and the much-revered former Blues manager spoke to club officials but he asked them not to.
Town are considering whether they will do so in the future, along with honouring Sir Alf Ramsey in a similar way, although both men already have statues outside the ground and suites within Portman Road names after them.
Blues chief executive Simon Clegg said: 'We have given serious consideration to a further permanent memorial and tribute to Sir Bobby. There are a range of ideas we are looking at and have been looking at over the past few months.
You may also want to watch:
'Naming a stand after Sir Bobby is one of the options we have discussed and we spoke to Sir Bobby about it but he didn't feel it was appropriate until a period after he had passed away. We obviously want to respect that and will respect that.
"We will listen to what the supporters have to say and all ideas for a fitting tribute will be given all due consideration but at the end of the day it needs to be a football recognition, something identifiable with the club and Portman Road in particular.'
- 1 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 2 RNLI called as guard vessel found aground
- 3 Rescue mission as fox gets tangled in football net
- 4 Vandal's sentencing adjourned after 'mess' of car damage spree case
- 5 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 6 'I need to see a body' - Sister's torment over speedboat deaths
- 7 Awareness and funds raised as walk for brave Drew hailed a success
- 8 T-rex to stomp its way across county on tour of towns and resorts
- 9 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 10 'Great to be back': parkrun returns to popular promenade
Sir Bobby won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup with Ipswich Town, while Sir Alf won the club's only Championship title and lead them to two promotions before that.
Both men left Ipswich Town to manage England with Sir Alf winning the World Cup in 1966 and Sir Bobby reaching the semi-finals in 1990.
A minute's silence was held for Sir Bobby, who died last Friday, before Town's friendly with Real Valladolid, which the Blues won 3-1, and a minute's applause will be held before all Football League games, including Town's game at Coventry on Sunday.