Nominate your unsung heroes as Stars of Lowestoft and Waveney Awards return
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An awards night set up to celebrate community heroes who seek no reward for their efforts is back for 2018.
The Stars of Lowestoft and Waveney is returning for the fourth year honouring those who go above and beyond to help their communities.
The awards ceremony will take place at the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft on Thursday, October 11, and the event is being sponsored by a range of local businesses, with The Journal and our sister papers the Beccles and Bungay Journal and Eastern Daily Press once again proud to be media partners.
Organiser Mick Parker, from Parker Communications, said: 'The spirit that exists in the Lowestoft and Waveney area is unrivalled with the region really pulling together to help make these awards the great success that they have undoubtedly have done.
'From the unstinting support of the Victoria Hotel in giving its services free of charge for this wonderful community event to the wonderful sponsors who have become part of something very special on behalf of the real heroes in our community.
You may also want to watch:
'These awards are unlike any other in the way that they recognise people who seek no reward for the things they do.'
A special launch event was held today, attended by sponsor representatives.
- 1 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 2 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 3 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 4 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 5 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 6 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 7 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 8 Flood-hit school hails 'amazing' community response
- 9 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 10 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man
The sponsors this year include Waveney District Council, Archant, Lings Motor Group, Pleasurewood Hills, Hoseasons, Marina Theatre, Sentinel Leisure Trust, Hotel Victoria, East of England Cooperative Society, Drone Survey Group, Pontins, BBC Radio Suffolk, Potters Holidays, Waveney Norse and Cottages.com.
Nominations are now open for each of the 10 categories, with the closing date for entries on Friday, September 14.
The categories are Young Person of the Year, Outstanding Sporting Achievement of the Year, Community Group or Champion of the Year, Outstanding Bravery, Team of the Year, Education Star, Uniform Services, Veteran of the Year, Charity Worker of the Year and Unsung Hero/Heroine.
To make a nomination, fill in the form on this page or pick up a copy of the Lowestoft Journal.