Nominate your unsung heroes as Stars of Lowestoft and Waveney Awards return
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An awards night set up to celebrate community heroes who seek no reward for their efforts is back for 2018.
The Stars of Lowestoft and Waveney is returning for the fourth year honouring those who go above and beyond to help their communities.
The awards ceremony will take place at the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft on Thursday, October 11, and the event is being sponsored by a range of local businesses, with The Journal and our sister papers the Beccles and Bungay Journal and Eastern Daily Press once again proud to be media partners.
Organiser Mick Parker, from Parker Communications, said: 'The spirit that exists in the Lowestoft and Waveney area is unrivalled with the region really pulling together to help make these awards the great success that they have undoubtedly have done.
'From the unstinting support of the Victoria Hotel in giving its services free of charge for this wonderful community event to the wonderful sponsors who have become part of something very special on behalf of the real heroes in our community.
You may also want to watch:
'These awards are unlike any other in the way that they recognise people who seek no reward for the things they do.'
A special launch event was held today, attended by sponsor representatives.
- 1 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 2 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 3 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 4 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 5 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault
- 6 Coastal town to feature on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip once more
- 7 Have your say about the future of Pakefield's eroding coastline
- 8 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 9 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 10 Large crowds flock to popular herring and ale fayre
The sponsors this year include Waveney District Council, Archant, Lings Motor Group, Pleasurewood Hills, Hoseasons, Marina Theatre, Sentinel Leisure Trust, Hotel Victoria, East of England Cooperative Society, Drone Survey Group, Pontins, BBC Radio Suffolk, Potters Holidays, Waveney Norse and Cottages.com.
Nominations are now open for each of the 10 categories, with the closing date for entries on Friday, September 14.
The categories are Young Person of the Year, Outstanding Sporting Achievement of the Year, Community Group or Champion of the Year, Outstanding Bravery, Team of the Year, Education Star, Uniform Services, Veteran of the Year, Charity Worker of the Year and Unsung Hero/Heroine.
To make a nomination, fill in the form on this page or pick up a copy of the Lowestoft Journal.