Historic England and Lowestoft Vision salute town regeneration announcement
- Credit: Archant
News that a historic part of Lowestoft will undergo major regeneration has been heralded as a crucial step forward for the town.
It was announced yesterday that North Lowestoft is one of Historic England's latest Heritage Action Zones (HAZ), meaning it will be the subject of a five-year scheme that sees neglected buildings brought back into use as housing or retail spaces and general transformation in the area.
The Waveney District Council-led project will see partnerships formed with Lowestoft Town Council, East Suffolk Building Preservation Trust and Lowestoft Vision.
John Neale, Historic England's planning director in the East of England, said: 'Lowestoft has much to be proud of, from its historic Scores to the South Beach. Some of its historic buildings are showing signs of neglect, but with a little investment and imagination they can become assets for the people and the town's economy.
'We are looking forward to working with Waveney District Council and their partners to raise awareness of what Lowestoft has to offer and to make it easy for investors and developers to bring jobs, homes and visitors here.'
Lowestoft Vision chairman Danny Steel added: 'The whole principle of Heritage Action Zones is brilliant and it's important for Lowestoft because the High Street has been neglected over the years.
You may also want to watch:
'Now the real hard work starts and the next stage is deciding how the money will be spent.'
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 3 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 4 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 5 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 6 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 7 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 8 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 9 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 10 'Together again': Swans reunited after dog attack in Lowestoft park