Norwich pub 'among best in world'
A Norwich pub is currently ranked among the best bars in the world and the best in the UK according to the Lonely Planet guides.
Travel writers have named a Norwich pub among the best in the world.
The Murderers in Timberhill, Norwich, is set for worldwide fame as it features on a list compiled as part of the Lonely Planet guides.
The pub, which dates back to 1530, is currently the only one in the Eastern region featured in the list, and is rated the best in the UK, beating Gordon's Wine Bar in London which is second.
The best bar in the world according to the list is De Witte Aap in Rotterdam, followed by Pachamama in Cabanaconde, Peru.
You may also want to watch:
The pub's landlord Phil Cutter said: 'The list is compiled with The Lonely Planet Guides, and inclusion is by invitation only. You can't even pay to join.
'Bars, clubs and bars from all over the world are included, with just 16 from London, and no others in the Eastern region.'
- 1 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 2 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 3 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
- 4 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 5 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 6 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 7 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 8 Lowestoft man fined £2,000 for noise offences after warning
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
The guide has teamed up with Singha Beer to find the world's best bar, with people offered a cash prize for nominating their local.
On the guide's website the Murderers is described as 'the ultimate traditional English pub'.
It goes on: 'With an original rustic look, authentic beams, exposed brickwork and real fires, the only other thing that makes this pub a must visit place is the great beer and great value tasty food.
'The staff are always friendly, as are the regulars who prop up the bar during the day. Though be warned that on Fridays after work it gets pretty busy. The Gardeners' Arms is its official name, but it's better known locally as the Murderers - check out the walls to get some idea of why.'
t To see the guide visit http://singha.lonelyplanet.com/bars/.