Oil spill would be a disaster
HAVING read David Lennard's article (September 11) I'd like to make the following comments.It would seem to me that the (approx) �10k a month financial benefit to Lowestoft's local economy is small beer compared to what would be lost to the wider local economy should a tanker be involved in a spillage of oil.
HAVING read David Lennard's article (September 11) I'd like to make the following comments.
It would seem to me that the (approx) �10k a month financial benefit to Lowestoft's local economy is small beer compared to what would be lost to the wider local economy should a tanker be involved in a spillage of oil.
Yes, the safety record is reasonably good, but with so many more transfers taking place in our bay the risk factor of an accident has increased.
There are very large tankers out there carrying huge payloads which would decimate our wildlife, fisheries, and tourism. Our ability to cope with a spill does not seem to be discussed much either.
You may also want to watch:
The oil companies want to transfer at sea because it keeps their costs down - I for one do not want to risk our coastline for the sake of a small financial benefit to a limited number of local individuals, even if the risk is small. The benefits are mainly to the oil companies who are interested in profits.
Wherever you live, whether on or near the coast between Yarmouth and Felixstowe, these oil tanker transfers are a very serious matter indeed and should be debated.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 3 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 4 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 5 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 6 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 9 Charity behind music festival launches lockdown support group
- 10 Missing man found safe and well
I for one hope the Government will bring forward legislation to enforce oil companies to transfer in purpose-built docks where the risk of an accident is lessened.