Open weekend to showcase leisure centre’s big refit
- Credit: Archant
Lowestoft's main sports centre is set to host a free open weekend to celebrate the completion of £1.1million investment works.
Waterlane Leisure Centre – operated by Sentinel Leisure Trust in partnership with Waveney District Council – will showcase new facilities tomorrow and Sunday.
Following an £8million redevelopment, the centre reopened in January 2012. It reached maximum membership capacity in less than three years – so with the latest improvements, the £1.1million project funded by the council will allow capacity to increase.
Improvements made during the 14-week project, recently completed by Pulse, include a new 150 station gym over two floors, a renovated spa area, revamped beauty therapy zone and thermal suite, an additional jacuzzi and extra studio space.
Stephen Ardley, deputy leader of Waveney District Council, said: 'We would urge as many people as possible to come along this weekend to see the fantastic improvements at Waterlane and to take advantage of the free fitness services on offer.'
You may also want to watch:
Stuart Everett, managing director at Sentinel Leisure Trust, added: 'We're looking forward to throwing open our doors and showcasing our new fitness facilities. The £1.1million improvements were made in response to customer feedback and have enhanced the quality of leisure services for the local community.
'I'd like to thank Waveney District Council for supporting and funding this second expansion project and Pulse for doing such a grand job.'
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 7 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 8 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
The free open weekend will take place from 7am tomorrow. Visitors aged over 12 will be able to take full advantage of the new state-of-the-art gym facilities and those over 16 can join in with as many group exercise classes as they wish. People can view the upgrade, with guided tours available. A new website – www.waterlanelc.co.uk – will launch tomorrow.
? To book a tour or gym induction, call 01502 532540.