Opposition parties unite for call-in of Suffolk school transport decision

Suffolk County Council's monitoring officer will assess the decision Picture: ARCHANT

Suffolk County Council's monitoring officer will assess the decision Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: ARCHANT

A formal challenge has been lodged against plans to cut back on free school transport in Suffolk.

Jack Abbott said the decision had been railroaded through Picture: SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL

Jack Abbott said the decision had been railroaded through Picture: SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL - Credit: Archant

Opposition parties at Suffolk County Council have joined forces to challenge the decision to go ahead with the proposed cuts which was made on Tuesday.

Councillors from the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrat, Green and Independent Group have called-in the decision raising a host of issues with how the decision was made.

In their 22-page challenge, opponents say they cannot see how the savings will be made, criticise lack of clarity of who will assess the changes and cited a host of 'deliberately misleading statements'.

Andrew Stringer also raised concerns at the decision Picture: SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL

Andrew Stringer also raised concerns at the decision Picture: SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL - Credit: Archant

It has also emerged that the Consultation Institute was only commissioned during the pre-consultation phase, and had no involvement in any of the process thereafter – including an analysis and recommendation from the data – despite suggestions it was involved.


You may also want to watch:


Jack Abbott, Labour's education spokesman who proposed the call-in, said: 'How the cabinet can ignore all the holes in this policy proposal and railroad it through is a complete mystery to me.

'The strength of feeling across all the opposition groups is clear and this issue transcends party politics. This ill-thought through, poorly formulated policy decision must be reversed to ensure educational attainment in Suffolk is not negatively impacted by this decision.'

Gordon Jones, Suffolk County Council cabinet member for children's services, education and skills sa

Gordon Jones, Suffolk County Council cabinet member for children's services, education and skills said the monitoring officer would decide within the next few days Picture: SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL - Credit: Archant

Most Read

A formal call-in must be made within 48 hours of the decision, and requires the council's monitoring officer to assess whether the decision was fair and justified. If the challenge is upheld it will go to scrutiny committee for discussion.

Andrew Stringer, leader of the Liberal Democrat, Green and Independent Group, said: 'It is simply staggering that the Conservative cabinet have agreed these changes on such a weak business case.

'We cannot stand by and watch as more children are likely to be injured or worse as a direct result of this move, we need a rethink.

'The report and financial modelling is inaccurate, incomplete and fundamentally flawed, I cannot see how this decision can be justified.'

Gordon Jones, education cabinet member, said: 'Call-ins are part of the county council's democratic process.

'The council's monitoring officer will now assess the validity of the call-in against criteria set out in the council's constitution.

'He will make his decision within the next few days.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus