Orchestra to maintain Lowestoft link
One of the world's most famous orchestras has confirmed that it will be performing a concerts in Lowestoft for a seventh consecutive year.The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) has extended its residency at the Marina Theatre into a seventh year with a series of concerts planned for 2011.
One of the world's most famous orchestras has confirmed that it will be performing a concerts in Lowestoft for a seventh consecutive year.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) has extended its residency at the Marina Theatre into a seventh year with a series of concerts planned for 2011.
Ian Maclay, managing director of the RPO, said: 'As resident orchestra, we continue to enjoy the loyal support of audiences from Lowestoft and the surrounding areas, and we do hope that our new season of concerts offers something to suit all tastes - from Broadway and West End musical magic to popular and evocative English orchestral works.'
Theatre manager Martin Halliday added: 'We are extremely proud of our association with the RPO and are delighted that once again the orchestra has agreed to extend its residency at the Marina. Since the association began it has enabled us to present some of the finest musicians in the world here on stage in Lowestoft.
'It is a great honour that the orchestra has agreed to further extend their residency and shows a great deal of faith in both the future of the Marina, its management and its audience.'
As the 2011 series in Lowestoft is announced, the orchestra is embarking on its first year of a prestigious annual residency in Montreux, Switzerland.
- 1 One person treated at scene of house fire in Lowestoft
- 2 Community rally together after fire rips through family home
- 3 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 4 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 5 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 6 Fallen tree blocks train lines near Lowestoft
- 7 'Boris needs to go' - Hotel manager's anger over alleged No 10 party
- 8 Lowestoft jeweller gets TV spot in Kirstie Allsopp's Handmade Christmas
- 9 Pressure group anger over speeding drivers on busy bypass
- 10 RAF veteran 'overwhelmed' after receiving 600 cards for 100th birthday
Stephen Ardley, portfolio holder at Waveney District Council which owns the Marina, said: 'We are absolutely thrilled that the RPO has agreed to extend its association with the Marina Theatre. To have one of the best orchestras in the world resident for another year is just fantastic.'
Peter Wilson, chairman of the Friends of the Marina, also welcomed the news. 'The Marina's association with the RPO is the envy of many towns and cities across the country and I am delighted that the orchestra has shown and continues to show such commitment,' he said.
Tickets for the seventh year of residency will be available from mid September to coincide with the launch of the venue's forthcoming Autumn season.
Before that, music lovers can look forward to the RPO performing at a special Opera Gala on October 2, with young virtuoso violinist Chlo� Hanslip featuring in a programme to include Beethoven's Violin Concerto on November 27.
For more information call the box office on 01502 533200.