Oulton Broad Art Circle
On September 30, members were introduced to a delightful and productive evening learning the perspective lines and intricacies of boats. Derek Plant set up an overhead projector which enabled his drawings to be shown and copied.
On September 30, members were introduced to a delightful and productive evening learning the perspective lines and intricacies of boats. Derek Plant set up an overhead projector which enabled his drawings to be shown and copied. Derek is a talented and well known artist who sells his paintings all over the world. He knows the construction of boats, yachts and ships in the greatest of detail, having worked for many years at Richard's Shipyard.
He showed members how to draw simple round and chine bilge boats by firstly drawing a box shape and inserting the boat inside to get the correct proportions and perspective. He then went on to more and more difficult boats to copy, finishing with a large 'gin palace' motor cruiser as he called it. Derek brought in small yachts, dinghies and partially constructed hulls that he had personally made for everyone to see the full dimensions. He has the gifted knack of connecting and inspiring an audience with anecdotes and humour in a modest way.
Marie Bond thanked Derek for this innovative approach and said that the club could hold more such evenings.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 6 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 7 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 10 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in