Oulton Broad Art Circle
On September 30, members were introduced to a delightful and productive evening learning the perspective lines and intricacies of boats. Derek Plant set up an overhead projector which enabled his drawings to be shown and copied.
On September 30, members were introduced to a delightful and productive evening learning the perspective lines and intricacies of boats. Derek Plant set up an overhead projector which enabled his drawings to be shown and copied. Derek is a talented and well known artist who sells his paintings all over the world. He knows the construction of boats, yachts and ships in the greatest of detail, having worked for many years at Richard's Shipyard.
He showed members how to draw simple round and chine bilge boats by firstly drawing a box shape and inserting the boat inside to get the correct proportions and perspective. He then went on to more and more difficult boats to copy, finishing with a large 'gin palace' motor cruiser as he called it. Derek brought in small yachts, dinghies and partially constructed hulls that he had personally made for everyone to see the full dimensions. He has the gifted knack of connecting and inspiring an audience with anecdotes and humour in a modest way.
Marie Bond thanked Derek for this innovative approach and said that the club could hold more such evenings.
- 1 Care home builds 'shopping lane' to promote resident independence
- 2 Can you spot yourself in these Lowestoft school photos through the years?
- 3 Safety fears over street lighting not working for last two years
- 4 Vehicle parked outside Lowestoft home targeted by vandals
- 5 Two e-scooters and cannabis seized in Lowestoft
- 6 Lowestoft man arrested 200 miles from home after police hunt
- 7 Popular bookstore looking ahead to next new chapter in Lowestoft
- 8 White van stolen from outside home in Lowestoft
- 9 Boys, 16 and 13, admit stealing moped prior to crash
- 10 Lowestoft to benefit from £163m of projects, but where will the money go?