Oulton Broad Art Circle
On September 30, members were introduced to a delightful and productive evening learning the perspective lines and intricacies of boats. Derek Plant set up an overhead projector which enabled his drawings to be shown and copied.
On September 30, members were introduced to a delightful and productive evening learning the perspective lines and intricacies of boats. Derek Plant set up an overhead projector which enabled his drawings to be shown and copied. Derek is a talented and well known artist who sells his paintings all over the world. He knows the construction of boats, yachts and ships in the greatest of detail, having worked for many years at Richard's Shipyard.
He showed members how to draw simple round and chine bilge boats by firstly drawing a box shape and inserting the boat inside to get the correct proportions and perspective. He then went on to more and more difficult boats to copy, finishing with a large 'gin palace' motor cruiser as he called it. Derek brought in small yachts, dinghies and partially constructed hulls that he had personally made for everyone to see the full dimensions. He has the gifted knack of connecting and inspiring an audience with anecdotes and humour in a modest way.
Marie Bond thanked Derek for this innovative approach and said that the club could hold more such evenings.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man dies following collision on A12
- 2 Traffic problems as bridge lights stuck on red
- 3 Dangerous double drug-driver awaits sentence for injuring cyclist
- 4 'Foolish' - Landowner could face prosecution after drilling into trees
- 5 A12 re-opens following serious three-vehicle crash
- 6 17-year-old boy missing for more than a month found
- 7 Heroin addict who burgled neighbour's home four times is jailed
- 8 'We didn't get fair hearing' - Care group's anger at new home refusal
- 9 Work to resume on £15m project to give thousands ultrafast broadband
- 10 Lowestoft gets £24.9m for key town centre projects