Oulton Broad boatbuilding college makes first London Boat Show appearance
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A Lowestoft boatbuilding college has made its debut at the London Boat Show as East Anglian businesses started the year trying to drum up sales at the flagship event.
The International Boatbuilding Training College (IBTC), in Oulton Broad, had a stand for the first time among the vast exhibition hall, where almost 400 boats and a raft of associated businesses were on display.
Statistics published this month by industry body British Marine suggest that the UK leisure, superyacht and small commercial marine industry generated revenue of £2.97billion last year – up 1.1 per cent on the previous year.
It also found that the home-grown business made up a greater share of sales, up from 68pc of total revenue in 2013/14 to 70pc last year.
Boating tourism, brokerage and insurance and financial services were among the biggest drivers of revenue.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Tupper, director of the IBTC, said they had decided to visit the boat show to launch their new general maintenance course.
'It will appeal to the everyday boat owners and users,' he said.
- 1 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 2 New dance academy on the lookout for members of all abilities
- 3 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 4 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 5 Charity hero calls for more defibrillators after Eriksen collapse
- 6 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
- 7 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 8 Amazing! Photo sequence shows how marsh harrier grabbed a rabbit
- 9 North Suffolk road to close with traffic diverted for gully repairs
- 10 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
He also said it was a chance to raise awareness of their brand.
He added: 'We are not a museum piece. We want people to learn and use the skills we teach. We want to promote ourselves and there is this new course.'
The college also has a boatbuilding and maintenance yard which he said was doing well.
However, he wants to recruit more students.
? Got a story? Email email@example.com