Oulton Broad Crossing
I HAVE been a resident in Dell Road for over 26 years and am an active pedestrian frequently using the footbridge over Oulton Broad South railway.I was rather disappointed to read the negative comments made by Waveney MP Bob Blizzard with regard to the funding for a new cycle/footbridge.
I HAVE been a resident in Dell Road for over 26 years and am an active pedestrian frequently using the footbridge over Oulton Broad South railway.
I was rather disappointed to read the negative comments made by Waveney MP Bob Blizzard with regard to the funding for a new cycle/footbridge.
I was walking over the footbridge with my wife when we were requested to move over by a cyclist approaching from the rear. We didn't get the chance to fully move before the cyclist pushed through letting us have the benefit of his foul language.
I responded, extremely politely, informing him that the footbridge was just that, a pedestrian footbridge.
In an instant he jumped off his cycle and punched me in the face. My wife was terrified and ran home to phone the police.
The police arrived and subsequently arrested him for common assault and battery. There were two witnesses and he fully admitted the offence. He apologised for over reacting.
- 1 Restaurant owner 'optimistic' for future after Christmas cancellations
- 2 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 3 Man arrested in Lowestoft after stop and search finds cannabis and cash
- 4 New homes and retail unit bid for vacant former Tesco store
- 5 Coastal wreckage scuba diving club searching for new members
- 6 'Don't suffer in silence': Support on offer as UK heads for inflation spike
- 7 Holocaust memorial ceremony to be held at town's rail station
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Woman shot by pellet gun when leaving Lowestoft shop
- 10 Suffolk's sensational year on screen as filmmakers spend millions in county
This kind of reaction from some cyclists is becoming, sadly, an every day occurence.
I am fully aware of the dangers of cycling on the road and in many cases cyclists are being forced off the roads for their own safety, but where, in these instances do the pedestrians go. As a pedestrian I have rights, the right to feel safe on the footpaths, and if necessary, the right to make cyclists aware of the no cycling signs.
Further to this, my wife and I were verbally abused by a woman who cycled over the footbridge with her three children, all cycling, four cycles at once.
I pointed to the signs and she kicked off with a foul aggressive response. The saddest thing was she was the role model to her children and consequently her eldest child, about eight years old, then felt free to join in, so the children now know how they can behave in a similar situation.
So, if Mr Blizzard was a frequent pedestrian user of the footbridge in Oulton Broad he would, I am sure, be actively campaigning to get the new cycle/footbridge operating as soon as possible then both cyclists and pedestrians can feel safe.