Our top tips for a great Valentine’s in Waveney
PUBLISHED: 10:55 14 February 2016 | UPDATED: 10:55 14 February 2016
Stuck for ideas of how to give your partner the perfect Valentine’s Day? Luckily you’re living in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, so there’s no shortage of ways to woo your loved one. Journal editor ANDREW PAPWORTH looks at the top romantic treats Waveney has to offer.
1. Best foot forward - it may seem obvious, but sometimes it’s the simple treats that work the best. With the soothing sound of the waves in the background, a stroll along the beach, hand-in-hand, can be one of the most romantic things you can do - and allows you and your partner to spend some quality time together away from all the noise and hubbub of a bar or restaurant. And if the beach doesn’t do it for you, there are plenty of other picturesque venues - Sparrows Nest and Nicholas Everitt Park to name a couple. It’s not quite so pleasant if it rains though, in which case you may need a back-up plan...
2. Dance the night away - Waveney has no end of places where you can dance the night away and many hotels, like Kirkley’s Hatfield Hotel, have been offering overnight package where you can spoil your partner with a cocktail reception and three-course meal before taking to the dance floor. However if you’re still single, the The Aquarium’s traffic light party might be the answer. With free glowsticks on arrival, just pick one of three colours on arrival - red if you’re in a relationship, yellow if you’re undecided and want to be tempted and green if you’re single.
3. Aww, so cute! - a trip to nearby Yarmouth for a look around SEA LIFE makes for a fun and unique Valentine’s date that neither of you will ever forget. And at Africa Alive! in Kessingland, you can coo over the cute animals and even give your partner a more unusual gift - by naming a cockroach after your other half.
4. Take to the water - perhaps a slightly more expensive treat, but shor boating cruises can be booked if you visit www.broads.co.uk. Boats such as the Fair Senator offer plenty of space outside if the mild weather of late continues, while there’s ample room indoors if the conditions not so great. Perfect for romantically sailing into the sunset.
5. Relive your youth - sometimes all your partner wants is to forget all the trials and tribulations of everyday life and for one day only go back to that carefree time when they didn’t have a worry in the world. So a trip down memory lane to the arcade machines at either Southwold Pier or the Claremont Pier might just do the trick.
6. Indulge - sometimes your partner just deserves to be pampered, so the couple’s retreat package at Rosie’s Day Spa, at Lowestoft’s Waterlane Leisure Centre, allows you to spend some quality time together, relax and leave feeling totally refreshed. And if that’s not your cup of tea, why not just treat your partner to a day pass instead?
7. Wine and dine - again there are no shortage of places to eat on Waveney and the Suffolk coast, with places like the Waveney House Hotel in Beccles and the Hotel Victoria in Kirkley all offering the perfect setting for a romantic meal. Sadly the popular Valentine’s Pizza Evening at Southwold’s Two Magpies Bakery in Southwold - where couples bake delicious pizzas while sipping wine - has sold out, but there’s always next year...
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.