Excitement as primary school launches £12,000 play area fundraising appeal
- Credit: Archant
An 'exciting project' is under way at a primary school.
Hopes are high that a new £12,000 outdoor gym area will be unveiled at Gunton Primary Academy in the coming months – with an appeal going out to businesses to back the fundraising drive.
With staff and school council members keen to improve the outdoor play spaces at the academy in Gainsborough Drive, an appeal was launched.
It is being led by project manager, Justin Smith, of Chameleon Training and Consultancy in Lowestoft, with support from the Parents, Staff and Friends Association (PSFA).
The new outdoor gym would consist of numerous pieces of play and exercise equipment with the school logo inscribed in it.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Jordan, headteacher at Gunton Primary, said: 'We have been very excited with the proposed design which has been kindly project managed and led by Justin Smith.
'The PSFA have been extremely proactive in fundraising for this outdoor gym and we would like to thank them for their time and also our families for their generous support.
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 4 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 5 Boat rescued after getting into difficulty near pier
- 6 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 7 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 8 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 9 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 10 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
'Our school will be using some of the funds from the government's sugar tax to help make this project happen and donations from local companies.
'Improving children's fitness and well-being through outdoor play is a national priority and this outdoor gym will complement our already extensive and high quality sports provision.'
Mr Smith said: 'Having been associated with the school for some years through my children, it is a real pleasure to help bring this new facility to Gunton.
'Specially designed outdoor gym equipment will provide a great deal of fun for the children at the school but will also support the delivery of new initiatives that bring our community together.
'It's been a real team effort so far but I'm reaching out to our local business community and asking them to help us get over the line. We're nearly there with our £12,000 goal and just need a little extra to bring the project to life over the summer.'
The PSFA is holding a summer fete at the school between 3.30pm and 5.30pm on Friday, June 15 to help to raise further funds.
For further details, or to donate to the gym appeal, call 01502 584661 or email email@example.com