A47 and A12 in Lowestoft to close overnight for more than six weeks
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Major works are being carried out on two main roads through Lowestoft, with more than six weeks of overnight closures planned.
The works will see the full closure of the A47 from the Blundeston Road/Yarmouth Road/B1385 roundabout to the A12/Elm Tree Road/Bloodmoor Road roundabout.
Improvements will be carried out from Thursday, January 11 to Monday, February 26 and includes road resurfacing and repairs, the installation of safety bollards, renewal of road markings, lining and studs and the installation of new road signs.
Further work will also be done on the Bascule Bridge to replace the lifting motor.
The closure will be in place from 8pm to 6am each day, with the resurfacing works undertaken in phases, starting south at the Bascule Bridge and continuing north through to Sparrows Nest. Other works are then planned north of Sparrows Nest.
You may also want to watch:
A Highways England spokesman said: 'Once completed, the works will provide a better quality of road surface, improved road signs, markings for road users and improved traffic signals.'
The diversion for both northbound and southbound drivers will be from the A12 roundabout at the South Lowestoft Fire station, onto the A1117 Elm Tree Road and Cotmer Road, to the Bridge Street junction where it will turn right and continue north along Bridge Road, Normanston Drive, Peto Way and Millennium Way and re-join the A47 at the Blundeston Road roundabout.
- 1 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 2 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 3 Friends and family raise £15,000 for father with rare cancer
- 4 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 5 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 6 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 7 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 8 'Fantastic' - excitement from businesses ahead of May 17 changes
- 9 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 10 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
Work on the Bascule Bridge is scheduled to take place from Tuesday, January 30, to Monday, February 26.
The spokesman added: 'When we begin the works to replace the Bascule Bridge lifting motor, we will provide a free bus service for pedestrians needing to cross the bridge on a night time.
'We will endeavour to complete the works during these dates, however, these are down to factors such as weather, so delays may occur.
'For any residents living within the road closure and wishing to gain access to their homes during our working times, an escort will be provided to ensure safe access to your property but delays may be experienced until we can arrange a safe route through the works area.
'We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience these works may cause.'
For more information contact Highways England on 0300 123 5000, or email Graham Construction at A47works@graham.co.uk