Owners of Spots in Southwold selling up after 11 years
- Credit: Nick Butcher
After more than a decade at their base in Southwold, the owners of a popular shop have decided to move on to pastures new.
Having been on holiday to Southwold for a number of years, Guy Mitchell and Sarah Green took over at Spots back in 2006, a venture which involved running the independent post office.
From there, Southwold Post Office Toys and Stationery (SPOTS) was born and became an important fixture on the seaside town's high street.
Spots is known for its 'shop-within-a-shop' format, as located within the store is the Southwold Card Shop, offering thousands of greetings cards designed by local artists.
Despite highlighting how valuable the experience of running Spots has been, Mr Mitchell acknowledged that it is the right time for the couple to move on and focus on other commitments.
You may also want to watch:
'We've had a great time here since we arrived, but I think it's the appropriate time for us to hand over the reins,' he said.
'This is something that requires a lot of energy and attention, so Sarah and I are going to cut down to two operations in the form of our other businesses.
- 1 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 2 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 3 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 6 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 7 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 8 Police officers could lose jobs over father's holiday park death
- 9 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 10 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
'We started out knowing virtually nothing about running somewhere like Spots and we have learned an awful lot.'
Mr Mitchell and Ms Green might be selling up, but that doesn't mean that Southwold Post Office will be closing its doors.
Although a buyer for Spots has not yet been found, the process of selling a post office takes time and potential buyers must be vetted thoroughly before any deal is completed.
'We, along with many others in the town, are very keen for Southwold to retain its independent post office,' added Mr Mitchell.
'Selling a post office is a lengthy process and talks have been held with a number of interested buyers over the last few weeks.
'Any new owner will certainly make some changes, but the business has the potential to be the same as it was - just without Guy and Sarah!'
For information about Spots, as well as Mr Mitchell and Ms Green's other businesses, visit southwoldgifts.co.uk.