Pair arrested over Lowestoft and Beccles jewellery thefts
A 16-YEAR-OLD girl and a 46-year-old woman have been arrested in connection with a number of thefts of jewellery in Suffolk recently.
The two – both from Luton – were arrested in connection with incidents that have occurred in Lowestoft, Beccles and Ipswich where jewellery has been offered for sale and necklaces placed around the necks of the person that has been approached.
The victims have then had their own, often valuable, necklaces removed while they were distracted.
'Police were contacted by a member of the public, who had seen media reports about previous thefts, around 12.15pm yesterday, Wednesday, December 15, after two females were spotted acting suspiciously in the Station Square area of Lowestoft,' a police spokesman said.
'Police immediately attended and arrested the two.'
They were taken into custody at Lowestoft police station where they were interviewed by officers. Both have now been bailed to return to police on December 24.
• Anyone with information about these incidents should call PC 1537 Wells at Lowestoft police station on 01986 835300.
- 1 Firefighters battle blaze in Lowestoft cliff face
- 2 Shock as knife found in Subway tuna sandwich
- 3 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish
- 4 5 cheap and free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 5 'You're not Steve McQueen' - Vehicles reported for anti-social driving
- 6 Lowestoft man died after paramedics mistakenly told he had taken heroin
- 7 ‘Accessible to everyone:' Special party highlights new beach huts
- 8 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 9 Teenager arrested after girl assaulted during robbery
- 10 Lowestoft's £24.9 million funding for regeneration projects approved