Patience personified with this stunning shot of a barn owl
- Credit: Archant
Waiting early one morning for a special wildlife shot was the inspiration for one keen amateur photographer.
This impressive photo of a barn owl swooping in with its prey was captured by Geoff Coleman, of Halesworth, in north Suffolk early last Wednesday.
And it has been judged as our Picture of the Week winner – securing a delighted Mr Coleman with his first win in our popular contest.
Mr Coleman said: 'I go to this site whenever I can and was down early last Wednesday to try and capture a barn owl. I had a very lucky morning, as the owl was out rather late with a young family to feed.
'I do enjoy taking mainly wildlife photos, and I am a keen birdwatcher. I saw the owl leave from its nest box and was there waiting for quite a while until it returned with the vole in its feet.'
You may also want to watch:
As our winner, Mr Coleman receives a 12in x 10in framed version of his photo, worth more than £60, from Picture Studios, of London Road North, Lowestoft. By progressing to our next six-monthly winners' final, he is also in with a shout of winning the top prize – a 12in x 18in photo block, worth £130. Entries can be of any subject, but they must be by amateur photographers and we prefer digital images.
We also accept prints but we cannot guarantee their return.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 4 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 5 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 6 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 7 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 8 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted
- 9 Coastal Post Office branch to close for four weeks
- 10 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
Email us your pictures, along with your details and daytime phone number (and mobile number too if possible) to: email@example.com putting Picture of the Week in the subject box.