Penalty shoot out decides annual contest
- Credit: Archant
The 33rd annual Lowestoft and District Scout five-a-side football tournament was held at Barnards Meadow on Saturday in cloudy but warm conditions.
The five teams representing four groups battled it out in one league, leading to the top placed team playing the fourth placed side, and the second and third placed sides facing each other in the semi final.
Top of the league were last year's champions 1st Carlton, who recovered aftere a surprise defeat in one of their matches by close rivals 2nd Carlton. 1st Carlton played 1st Blundeston in one semi final, and comfortably defeated them 8-0. The other semi final was much closer with 14th Lowestoft just holding off 2nd Carlton 3-1.
The final was a tense match offering the best football of the day. Carlton scored first, but in the second half 14th Lowestoft equalised, and it remained 1-1. In the resultant penalty shoot out a 5-5 scoreline meant it was left to the two goalkeepers to decide the outcome. The 14th Lowestoft keeper saved from Carlton's keeper, who was unable to keep out the penalty from the 14th Lowestoft keeper.
Overall the sporting spirit prevailed as matches were fiercely contested, but in true Scouting manner.
You may also want to watch:
The Russell Brabben trophy was presented to the winning 14th Lowestoft team by Mrs Sheila Brabben.
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 3 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 4 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 5 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 6 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 7 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend
- 8 Concerns raised over 'excessive' feeding of ducks at popular pond
- 9 Swimmer in trouble at sea sparks lifeboat and coastguards response
- 10 Everything to see and do in Lowestoft