Petrol tanker in attempted hijack
A GROUP of men attempted to hijack a petrol tanker in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).The drama unfolded close to Blythburgh, south of Lowestoft, just before 2.
A GROUP of men attempted to hijack a petrol tanker in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).
The drama unfolded close to Blythburgh, south of Lowestoft, just before 2.10am this morning.
A 62-year-old petrol tanker driver contacted police saying that several men attempted to rob him.
He said he was driving northbound on the A12 and became aware of two vehicles behind him.
You may also want to watch:
He then heard a bang and thought the tanker had been struck by one of the vehicles.
He stopped his lorry in the layby on the northbound side of the A12 between Blythburgh village and the junction with the A145.
- 1 Man fled into KFC after being chased at knifepoint in Lowestoft
- 2 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 3 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 4 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 5 Man in 30s dies after crash on A12
- 6 Man who downloaded indecent images of children avoids jail
- 7 Two men assaulted at children's play park
- 8 Dancing doc, 93, boogies for four hours in town centre for charity
- 9 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea
- 10 More fatal crashes on Suffolk roads this year already than whole of 2020
The 62-year-old reported that three or four young men, described as being of Asian appearance and wearing woolly hats, then approached the lorry.
One of the men demanded the keys and then assaulted the driver before all the males fled empty handed.
They made off northbound in vehicles described as being a Transit type van and a Landrover or similar 4x4 vehicle.
It is possible one of the offenders may have suffered an injury to his face in the incident.
The 62-year-old was checked over by a paramedic at the scene but did not require further treatment.
Anyone who was in the area around 1.30am - 2.30am this morning is asked to call police regardless of whether they think they saw anything of use.
If you were driving along this route, or if you have any information please call Lowestoft CID on 01986 835300.