Petrol tanker in attempted hijack
A GROUP of men attempted to hijack a petrol tanker in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).The drama unfolded close to Blythburgh, south of Lowestoft, just before 2.
A GROUP of men attempted to hijack a petrol tanker in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).
The drama unfolded close to Blythburgh, south of Lowestoft, just before 2.10am this morning.
A 62-year-old petrol tanker driver contacted police saying that several men attempted to rob him.
He said he was driving northbound on the A12 and became aware of two vehicles behind him.
You may also want to watch:
He then heard a bang and thought the tanker had been struck by one of the vehicles.
He stopped his lorry in the layby on the northbound side of the A12 between Blythburgh village and the junction with the A145.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 3 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 4 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 7 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 8 Town's ultrafast broadband bid back on track
- 9 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 10 School warning after social media post about girls being approached
The 62-year-old reported that three or four young men, described as being of Asian appearance and wearing woolly hats, then approached the lorry.
One of the men demanded the keys and then assaulted the driver before all the males fled empty handed.
They made off northbound in vehicles described as being a Transit type van and a Landrover or similar 4x4 vehicle.
It is possible one of the offenders may have suffered an injury to his face in the incident.
The 62-year-old was checked over by a paramedic at the scene but did not require further treatment.
Anyone who was in the area around 1.30am - 2.30am this morning is asked to call police regardless of whether they think they saw anything of use.
If you were driving along this route, or if you have any information please call Lowestoft CID on 01986 835300.