Picture of the Week: May 7, 2010
AN eerie swan, meandering beneath a Polish pier has been selected as The Journal's Picture of the Week.The unusual shot of the lonely swan was captured by Chris Smy, of London Road South, Lowestoft, when he visited Sopot on Poland's southern Baltic coast with his wife Dee earlier this year.
AN eerie swan, meandering beneath a Polish pier has been selected as The Journal's Picture of the Week.
The unusual shot of the lonely swan was captured by Chris Smy, of London Road South, Lowestoft, when he visited Sopot on Poland's southern Baltic coast with his wife Dee earlier this year.
'Although bathed in glorious sunshine, the beach was covered in snow. There were icicles hanging from the pier, which is the longest wooden one in Europe, and the sea was frozen in parts,' he said. 'To our amazement the beach and sea was full of swans being hand fed by the locals. There were at least 75 - and not forgetting the ducks and seagulls.'
Chris will receive his photograph in a 12in x 10in frame, mounted and inscribed, worth more than �60, from Picture Studios, of London Road North, Lowestoft. The winning picture will also go forward to a six-monthly winners' final contest, when he will be in with a chance of claiming a 12in x 18in photo block worth �130.
You may also want to watch:
We are accepting images for next week's competition. They can be of any subject, whether they are entertaining snapshots, luscious landscapes or a close-up brush with nature. They must be taken by amateur photographers, and we'd prefer digital pictures. We do accept prints, but they need to be copies as we cannot guarantee their return. Send your picture with your name, address and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org marking your email Journal Photo Competition. Prints can be sent to Picture of the Week, The Journal, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft, NR32 1NB.
- 1 Woman's warning after being targeted in Royal Mail scam
- 2 Anger after trees 'cut down without any consent'
- 3 Charred remains show aftermath of fire at children's play area
- 4 Mum's upset after church clears baby daughter's grave
- 5 Which Norfolk Wetherspoons pubs are reopening from April 12?
- 6 Investigations continue after drugs seized during raid
- 7 Cooler conditions keep crowds away from east coast
- 8 Covid-19 timeline: How Lowestoft responded to the pandemic
- 9 First lockdown restrictions lifted today - what can you do now?
- 10 Man dies following collision on A12