Picture of the Week: May 7, 2010
AN eerie swan, meandering beneath a Polish pier has been selected as The Journal's Picture of the Week.The unusual shot of the lonely swan was captured by Chris Smy, of London Road South, Lowestoft, when he visited Sopot on Poland's southern Baltic coast with his wife Dee earlier this year.
AN eerie swan, meandering beneath a Polish pier has been selected as The Journal's Picture of the Week.
The unusual shot of the lonely swan was captured by Chris Smy, of London Road South, Lowestoft, when he visited Sopot on Poland's southern Baltic coast with his wife Dee earlier this year.
'Although bathed in glorious sunshine, the beach was covered in snow. There were icicles hanging from the pier, which is the longest wooden one in Europe, and the sea was frozen in parts,' he said. 'To our amazement the beach and sea was full of swans being hand fed by the locals. There were at least 75 - and not forgetting the ducks and seagulls.'
Chris will receive his photograph in a 12in x 10in frame, mounted and inscribed, worth more than �60, from Picture Studios, of London Road North, Lowestoft. The winning picture will also go forward to a six-monthly winners' final contest, when he will be in with a chance of claiming a 12in x 18in photo block worth �130.
You may also want to watch:
We are accepting images for next week's competition. They can be of any subject, whether they are entertaining snapshots, luscious landscapes or a close-up brush with nature. They must be taken by amateur photographers, and we'd prefer digital pictures. We do accept prints, but they need to be copies as we cannot guarantee their return. Send your picture with your name, address and contact details to email@example.com marking your email Journal Photo Competition. Prints can be sent to Picture of the Week, The Journal, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft, NR32 1NB.
- 1 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 2 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 3 'Suspicious' sighting in the sea sparks late night response in Lowestoft
- 4 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 Burglar attempts to rob store with metal bar as weapon
- 7 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 8 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 9 New book shines 'the spotlight' on coastal town's past and present
- 10 Two men bailed in connection with firearm offences