Pontin's resort expansion could create 100 jobs
A popular Suffolk holiday park is set to double in size as part of a multi-million pound scheme to modernise and expand Pontin's resorts.The Pontin's Holiday Park in Pakefield, near Lowestoft, will be expanded to accommodate 2,800 holidaymakers and the ambitious plans could create up to 100 jobs at the centre.
A popular Suffolk holiday park is set to double in size as part of a multi-million pound scheme to modernise and expand Pontin's resorts.
The Pontin's Holiday Park in Pakefield, near Lowestoft, will be expanded to accommodate 2,800 holidaymakers and the ambitious plans could create up to 100 jobs at the centre.
The proposals would see existing accommodation upgraded and new chalets being built, some of which will be two storeys. The indoor games zone will also be remodelled and the swimming pool complex will be redeveloped with a new spa facility.
A planning application for the site is expected to be submitted this summer.
You may also want to watch:
The company, owned by Ocean Parcs, today announced a �50m programme to upgrade and improve its holiday parks, which will create up to 2,000 jobs nationwide.
Ian Smith, chief executive of Ocean Parcs and Pontin's, said: 'We are tremendously excited about the investment planned for the development of our Pontin's Holiday Centres and the employment and tourism revenue that will be generated by this substantial investment.
- 1 'Forever an Olympian': Charley Davison bows out at Tokyo games
- 2 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 4 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 5 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 8 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 9 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
- 10 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
'It is particularly rewarding to be able to announce these plans which will not only generate increased tourism but create over 2000 new jobs whilst the country is in a recession.'
A planning application for the Pakefield park is expected to be submitted in the summer and work would take about two years to complete, although the resort will remain open for business throughout.
The Pontin's Holiday Park at Hemsby, near Yarmouth, closed last month and a spokesman said that staff from Hemsby will be invited to apply for jobs at the bigger Pakefield park when work is completed.
The company's holiday parks at Brean Sands in Somerset and Prestatyn Sands, north Wales, will be completely refurbished and the centres at Camber Sands, Sussex, and Southport will be redesigned and rebuilt.