Popular cavalcade 'definitely' off
ORGANISERS of the Eastern Lights Motorcycle Cavalcade yesterday confirmed that this year's charity ride has 'definitely' been cancelled.The cavalcade, which runs from Norwich to Lowestoft via Yarmouth, was due to be held on Sunday, July 26.
ORGANISERS of the Eastern Lights Motorcycle Cavalcade yesterday confirmed that this year's charity ride has 'definitely' been cancelled.
The cavalcade, which runs from Norwich to Lowestoft via Yarmouth, was due to be held on Sunday, July 26.
But despite raising more than �45,000 for the James Paget University Hospital, in Gorleston, in the past eight years, and having sold 964 tickets for this year's procession there has been no reprieve for the charity event.
The Journal revealed last week how red tape had held up this year's event, as Norfolk police said they would withdraw their cover if a temporary road licence was not obtained.
You may also want to watch:
And despite speculation over the weekend that the event would take place, as police pledged to work with organisers, all that remains of the event is a free get together at Royal Green, in Lowestoft, on Sunday, July 26 from 10am to 5pm - and organisers are hoping that this will encourage a good turnout of bikers and spectators.
Paul Howard, organising committee chairman for Eastern Lights, said: 'We won't be having any more future events; it's the end of Eastern Lights. I feel sorry for the bikers who've supported us, and for the thousands of people who line the streets and watch us.
- 1 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 2 'Forever an Olympian': Charley Davison bows out at Tokyo games
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 4 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 5 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 8 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 9 Olympic quest continues for Lowestoft's GB boxing star Charley Davison
- 10 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
In a joint statement released by Mr Howard and Norfolk police, a spokesman said: 'Following discussions among the organisers of the Eastern Lights Motorcycle Cavalcade over the weekend, it is confirmed the event has been cancelled and the constabulary informed.'