Popular cycle ride in Lowestoft raises vital funds
- Credit: Archant
Keen cyclists and amateurs alike biked round Carlton Colville to raise money for good causes.
The Ron Sampson Charity Cycle Ride, organised by Lowestoft's East Point Rotary Club, was held on Sunday, June 21.
It was renamed last year in memory of Rotary Club member Mr Sampson, who died following a stroke.
The cyclists started at Uplands Community Centre, in Asburnham Way, and were waved off by Waveney MP Peter Aldous before tackling one of three routes – six, 10 or 20 miles long – before finishing back at the community centre.
All funds raised will go to the Rotary Club and be distributed to local good causes.
You may also want to watch:
A donation will also be made to a prostate cancer charity, as Rotary clubs around the country held bike rides to support the cause.
Lowestoft Rotarian and co-organiser of the ride Jon Doran, 53, said: 'The ride is very accessible and it caters for all ages and all abilities down quiet country lanes and cycle tracks.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 5 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 8 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
'The key idea is to get people involved - the more riders the better.
'And it's a fun, family activity.'
Sponsorship money and registration fees are still coming in but, for every £25 raised, riders were entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher towards a bike.
Are you organising a community event? Tell The Journal by calling 01502 525820 or email email@example.com