Power to the people again
CONTRARY to what Christopher Thomas says (October 9) Conservative policies will not be "imposed from on high".That is what the Labour government has done for the past 12 years.
CONTRARY to what Christopher Thomas says (October 9) Conservative policies will not be "imposed from on high".
That is what the Labour government has done for the past 12 years.
A Conservative government will return power to the people in particular giving individuals more control over local services.
Conservative proposals include giving power to residents to call referenda on local issues, providing local residents with a right to scrutinise council spending and permitting councils to enhance the powers of elected ward councillors.
Mr Thomas criticises Waveney Districts Council's decision to share a chief executive with Suffolk Coastal District Council. Such collaborations help reduce the Town Hall wage bill and provide better services.
This initiative, taken by local councillors directly accountable to the electorate, is preferable for the government's attempted forced reorganisation of local government in Suffolk.
- 1 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish
- 2 Firefighters battle blaze in Lowestoft cliff face
- 3 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 4 Shock as knife found in Subway tuna sandwich
- 5 'You're not Steve McQueen' - Vehicles reported for anti-social driving
- 6 Lowestoft man died after paramedics mistakenly told he had taken heroin
- 7 ‘Accessible to everyone:' Special party highlights new beach huts
- 8 Where will be the hottest place in Suffolk this weekend?
- 9 5 cheap and free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 10 Teenager arrested after girl assaulted during robbery
This is the type of top down control the Conservatives want to move away from.
Conservative Parliamentary candidate for Waveney