I WAS amused by Richard Friend's letter (July 3) about Gulliver the wind turbine and its time spent not generating electricity.People may recall it was struck by lightning in June 2007, its blades damaged and out of action for four months.
I WAS amused by Richard Friend's letter (July 3) about Gulliver the wind turbine and its time spent not generating electricity.
People may recall it was struck by lightning in June 2007, its blades damaged and out of action for four months. I wrote the following which I hope will give readers a smile.
On the most eastern point of England Gulliver stands,
You may also want to watch:
His long shadow falls across the land.
Three years ago they built him there,
- 1 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 2 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 5 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 6 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 7 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 8 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 9 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
- 10 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
The biggest wind turbine anywhere.
His giant arms reach to the sky,
Fourteen hundred homes he can supply.
But sometimes you wonder why he's not going,
Well you can't generate if the wind's not blowing.
Then struck by summer lightning it was found
His blades were damaged, so they took them down.
For three months he's made no electricity,
To boil a kettle when you make your tea.
We get gas from Russia, electricity from France,
If they turn us off we won't stand a chance.
There's something else that we must do,
To keep everything running like we're used to.
While some people don't like nuclear power
For central heating, to cook or to shower.
Let's go ahead and build Sizewell C,
So we can keep our lights on and watch TV.
ASHLEY J GARDINER