I WAS amused by Richard Friend's letter (July 3) about Gulliver the wind turbine and its time spent not generating electricity.People may recall it was struck by lightning in June 2007, its blades damaged and out of action for four months.
I WAS amused by Richard Friend's letter (July 3) about Gulliver the wind turbine and its time spent not generating electricity.
People may recall it was struck by lightning in June 2007, its blades damaged and out of action for four months. I wrote the following which I hope will give readers a smile.
On the most eastern point of England Gulliver stands,
You may also want to watch:
His long shadow falls across the land.
Three years ago they built him there,
- 1 Centre of Lowestoft is a 'coronavirus hotspot'
- 2 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 3 Woman's four stone weight loss success despite global pandemic
- 4 Man arrested and drugs seized in police raid
- 5 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 6 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 7 How I became Ralph Fiennes' assistant on Netflix's The Dig
- 8 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 9 Delays warning as road closed for emergency repairs
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
The biggest wind turbine anywhere.
His giant arms reach to the sky,
Fourteen hundred homes he can supply.
But sometimes you wonder why he's not going,
Well you can't generate if the wind's not blowing.
Then struck by summer lightning it was found
His blades were damaged, so they took them down.
For three months he's made no electricity,
To boil a kettle when you make your tea.
We get gas from Russia, electricity from France,
If they turn us off we won't stand a chance.
There's something else that we must do,
To keep everything running like we're used to.
While some people don't like nuclear power
For central heating, to cook or to shower.
Let's go ahead and build Sizewell C,
So we can keep our lights on and watch TV.
ASHLEY J GARDINER