Preserve it at all costs
DEEP joy!It seems that discussions are, or are about to take place, regarding the renovation of our central railway terminus.Many suggestions have been proffered as to its fate, including demolition and the ludicrous idea of moving it out of town.
It seems that discussions are, or are about to take place, regarding the renovation of our central railway terminus.
Many suggestions have been proffered as to its fate, including demolition and the ludicrous idea of moving it out of town.
It is, in my mind, a very important part of our Victorian heritage and it is, contrary to popular opinion, my favourite building.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft railway station was built in the 1840s by the Jacob Brothers who also erected the Royal Albert Hall and the Royal Opera House in London. Therefore, it must be retained and maintained to its original glory and then, I am sure, it would be beneficial to the town.
It would be the focal point for all shoppers, holidaymakers and visitors to the town. It must be preserved at all cost.
- 1 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 4 'Innovative' new street light sparks interest on the coast
- 5 'We can't wait' - Boutique owners prepare for April 12 re-opening
- 6 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 7 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 8 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 9 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
Mention is made in The Journal (November 6) of the possible use of the refurbished building 'retail or leisure'. Caution should be implemented when deciding on the occupancy. It must benefit all branches of society, after all, it will be the centre of our community, the focal point.
Waveney MP Bob Blizzard should be commended for his efforts on our behalf.