Preserve it at all costs
DEEP joy!It seems that discussions are, or are about to take place, regarding the renovation of our central railway terminus.Many suggestions have been proffered as to its fate, including demolition and the ludicrous idea of moving it out of town.
It seems that discussions are, or are about to take place, regarding the renovation of our central railway terminus.
Many suggestions have been proffered as to its fate, including demolition and the ludicrous idea of moving it out of town.
It is, in my mind, a very important part of our Victorian heritage and it is, contrary to popular opinion, my favourite building.
Lowestoft railway station was built in the 1840s by the Jacob Brothers who also erected the Royal Albert Hall and the Royal Opera House in London. Therefore, it must be retained and maintained to its original glory and then, I am sure, it would be beneficial to the town.
It would be the focal point for all shoppers, holidaymakers and visitors to the town. It must be preserved at all cost.
- 1 Man arrested in connection with Lowestoft assault
- 2 Garden transformed into Christmas winter wonderland for local causes
- 3 Suspended sentence for former church worker who indecently assaulted girl
- 4 Man 'remains under investigation' after car crashed into home
- 5 67-year-old Lowestoft drug dealer found with £200,000 of cocaine jailed
- 6 Roadworks to know about in Lowestoft this week
- 7 Milk in the spotlight for thought provoking projection in Lowestoft
- 8 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 9 Lowestoft car damaged after being covered in food and brake fluid
- 10 Families flock to coastal town centre ahead of switch-on event
Mention is made in The Journal (November 6) of the possible use of the refurbished building 'retail or leisure'. Caution should be implemented when deciding on the occupancy. It must benefit all branches of society, after all, it will be the centre of our community, the focal point.
Waveney MP Bob Blizzard should be commended for his efforts on our behalf.