Rail commuters face delays on Lowestoft-Ipswich line
RAIL commuters on the East Suffolk Line faced delays and disruption this morning after problems with the swingbridge near Oulton Broad South station led to three trains being cancelled.
The problems, which affected the signalling, were spotted at just after 5am and led to the cancellation of the 5.25, 6.11 and 6.42 trains from Lowestoft to Ipswich. Replacement buses were laid on.
A National Express East Anglia spokesman said that a maintenance team from Network Rail was sent to the swingbridge and managed to rectify the problem by about 7.25am. Services then resumed as normal.
'We apologise for the disruption caused by the cancellations,' he said. 'Because of the time of the day, a number of people travelling to work at Ipswich or meeting connecting services to London were would have been affected.
'We notified Network Rail as soon as we were aware of the problems and services are now back to normal.'
You may also want to watch:
Passengers at Oulton Broad South, Beccles, Brampton and Halesworth were also affected by the disruption.
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 4 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 5 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 6 Couple who first met at hotel celebrate six decades of marriage
- 7 Investigation closed against man who exposed himself in cemetery
- 8 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 9 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 10 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend