Railway move debate
I HAVE been following the debate about Lowestoft railway station since 1st East arrived on the scene three years ago.The plan to relocate the station has certainly been an emotive and contentious issue.
I HAVE been following the debate about Lowestoft railway station since 1st East arrived on the scene three years ago.
The plan to relocate the station has certainly been an emotive and contentious issue. But does anything change in Lowestoft?
This copy of the front page of The Journal dated May 29, 1987, announced 'Battle over station site….'
Two rival bidders were proposing to submit plans to redevelop the station site. British Rail, which was enthusiastic about the proposals, would retain ownership of the site but a new station would have to be built in a different location. At a cost of 'millions' the whole area would be turned into a giant shopping complex with parking for 500 cars. Hundreds of new jobs would of course be created. All this sounds rather familiar. However, it appears that the rival bidders fell by the wayside and their grandiose plans were left to wither on the vine.
You may also want to watch:
Also in that issue of The Journal were articles about heavy traffic in Oulton Broad (but no mention of the railway crossing) and traffic jams in south Lowestoft caused by the constant bridge opening (20 times during one day the previous week).
The proposed 'third crossing' was mentioned in several places and one letter writer stated there had been a 'firm commitment to a third crossing in the published Alliance Plan for East Anglia - Partnership for Progress in East Anglia.'
- 1 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 2 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 3 A146 reopens after hydraulic fluid spill
- 4 'Do not click on the link': Warning over 'NHS scam' vaccine email
- 5 Former Brexit Party MP hopeful dies in Bahamas diving accident
- 6 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 7 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 8 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 9 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 10 Acting headteacher thrilled as school delivers community help
Plus �a change….
Do you think the rail station should be moved or do you have a comment to make? Write to us at Postbox, The Journal, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft, NR32 1NB, or post you views on The Journal's website forum section www.lowestoftjournal24.co.uk/cs/forums/