Rain fails to dampen spirits at Yarmouth sand sculpture competition
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.
The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Despite cloudy skies and bursts of heavy rain, 23 teams took part in the competition and after hours spent carefully crafting the designs, judges named a car and an ice cream as among the best sculptures.
Donna Bidwell, the town's tourism events manager, said: 'Unfortunately the weather has been horrible - cold and lots of rain. Everyone has enjoyed themselves anyway and the sculptures were great - one family made a seahorse and sea creatures and even used food colouring to colour the sand for it.'
You may also want to watch:
Award-winning sand sculptor Simon Smith, from Jersey, created his own giant sand castle on the beach on Saturday and taught workshops today to tell visitors more about sculpting with sand.
- 1 Could direct trains run from Lowestoft to London again?
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 6 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 7 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 8 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 9 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 10 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town