Rain fails to dampen spirits at Yarmouth sand sculpture competition
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.
The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Despite cloudy skies and bursts of heavy rain, 23 teams took part in the competition and after hours spent carefully crafting the designs, judges named a car and an ice cream as among the best sculptures.
Donna Bidwell, the town's tourism events manager, said: 'Unfortunately the weather has been horrible - cold and lots of rain. Everyone has enjoyed themselves anyway and the sculptures were great - one family made a seahorse and sea creatures and even used food colouring to colour the sand for it.'
You may also want to watch:
Award-winning sand sculptor Simon Smith, from Jersey, created his own giant sand castle on the beach on Saturday and taught workshops today to tell visitors more about sculpting with sand.
- 1 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 2 RNLI called as guard vessel found aground
- 3 'I need to see a body' - Sister's torment over speedboat deaths
- 4 Joy as funding boost awarded to school creating sensory playground
- 5 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
- 6 Vandal's sentencing adjourned after 'mess' of car damage spree case
- 7 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 8 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 9 Boat rescued after getting into difficulty near pier
- 10 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk