Rain fails to dampen spirits at Yarmouth sand sculpture competition
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.
The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Despite cloudy skies and bursts of heavy rain, 23 teams took part in the competition and after hours spent carefully crafting the designs, judges named a car and an ice cream as among the best sculptures.
Donna Bidwell, the town's tourism events manager, said: 'Unfortunately the weather has been horrible - cold and lots of rain. Everyone has enjoyed themselves anyway and the sculptures were great - one family made a seahorse and sea creatures and even used food colouring to colour the sand for it.'
Award-winning sand sculptor Simon Smith, from Jersey, created his own giant sand castle on the beach on Saturday and taught workshops today to tell visitors more about sculpting with sand.
- 1 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
- 2 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 3 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 4 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 5 VW Golf seized and BMW driver warned over loud exhaust in Lowestoft
- 6 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 7 Father-of-four gets driving ban after night out in resort
- 8 Who put them up there? The mystery of the Lowestoft scarecrows
- 9 'A first for Lowestoft': Joy as new outdoor fitness equipment unveiled
- 10 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK