Rain fails to dampen spirits at Yarmouth sand sculpture competition
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Families put their buckets and spades to good use in a sand sculpture competition in Yarmouth today.
The third Master of the Sands contest took place on the resort's central beach with competitors challenged to build a sand sculpture to be in with a chance of winning a Haven holiday.
Despite cloudy skies and bursts of heavy rain, 23 teams took part in the competition and after hours spent carefully crafting the designs, judges named a car and an ice cream as among the best sculptures.
Donna Bidwell, the town's tourism events manager, said: 'Unfortunately the weather has been horrible - cold and lots of rain. Everyone has enjoyed themselves anyway and the sculptures were great - one family made a seahorse and sea creatures and even used food colouring to colour the sand for it.'
You may also want to watch:
Award-winning sand sculptor Simon Smith, from Jersey, created his own giant sand castle on the beach on Saturday and taught workshops today to tell visitors more about sculpting with sand.
- 1 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 2 Boy attacked by man in woodland in Lowestoft
- 3 Emergency works cause early morning traffic chaos on A47
- 4 'Welcome back!' - Glasses raised as popular pub reopens
- 5 Duo left shaken after youths threw stones and jumped on parked car
- 6 'A real buzz' hits Lowestoft as lockdown rules ease
- 7 Royal Mail postboxes stolen from villages
- 8 Arson probe after flames from lit aerosol cans cause late night damage
- 9 Woman scared to leave her house after being closely followed by man
- 10 Woman punched on the ground after walking crutch was kicked away