Region's minister to step down as MP
Barbara Follett, the Minister for the East of England, has announced she is to stand down as an MP at the next election.Mrs Follett, who has been the Minister for the East of England since 2007, revealed yesterday that she will not stand again for her parliamentary seat of Stevenage.
Barbara Follett, the Minister for the East of England, has announced she is to stand down as an MP at the next election.
Mrs Follett, who has been the Minister for the East of England since 2007, revealed yesterday that she will not stand again for her parliamentary seat of Stevenage.
She has previously held posts as parliamentary private secretary to Tessa Jowell as minister for women and as minister for culture, creative industries and tourism.
Just last month, she was moved to a junior ministerial role at the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) after the return to office of Margaret Hodge, who resumes the position of tourism minister following compassionate leave.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Follett, 66, said yesterday: 'It was in early September when I told the Prime Minister that I would not be standing.
'We spoke for half an hour and I made it clear he always has and always will have my full support. I admire and respect him.
- 1 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 2 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 3 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 4 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 5 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 6 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 7 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 8 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 9 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 10 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
'The decision came after much thought and great sadness. I am a political animal to the core and I did hope to stand once again.
Mrs Follett, who is married to best-selling author Ken Follett, hit the headlines earlier this year during the scandal over MPs expenses.
It emerged she had claimed �24,000 for private security guards to keep watch on her home in London after she was mugged and followed by a stalker.
As regional minister, she acts as champion for the East of England, made up of six counties including Norfolk, and ensures the unique interests of the region are heard in central Government.