Review: Singing Futures take on world premier of Ruth the musical
- Credit: Archant
Trinity Methodist Church in Lowestoft was the perfect setting for the world premiere of the musical based on the biblical story of 'Ruth'.
Written and composed by the local musician Joseph Knight, someone who is clearly a highly skilled composer in this genre; and particularly for young people. The venue offers a great space with much flexibility and space for the audience to socialise in, which is an important part of the overall experience for all.
There was clearly a great deal of interest in the performance indicated by the large audience no doubt due to the increasing reputation of Singing Futures for both high quality music and innovative programming. Expectation was to be met and almost certainly exceeded.
Songs ranged from the energetic and rhythmically varied and melodically memorable 'Gleaning' to strong ballads such as 'Can You Feel', with an excellent opening number 'Out of The land'.
The skilfully crafted music which was challenging whilst also being well suited to the current membership of Singing Futures, showed an awareness of range and technical requirements, being impressively executed, thanks to the very accomplished accompanist Cheryl Scarff and the great enthusiasm, dedication and musical skill of the musical director, Carol Secret.
You may also want to watch:
There was an excellent performance given by 'Ruth' and 'Naomi' is clearly a talent to look out for in the future; the whole cast displaying commitment and great enjoyment throughout.
- 1 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 2 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 3 New dance academy on the lookout for members of all abilities
- 4 Charity hero calls for more defibrillators after Eriksen collapse
- 5 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
- 6 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 7 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 8 Amazing! Photo sequence shows how marsh harrier grabbed a rabbit
- 9 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 10 North Suffolk road to close with traffic diverted for gully repairs