Reydon care home enjoys visit from petting zoo as part of Dementia Awareness Week
- Credit: Archant
Residents at a Reydon care home enjoyed a series of activities as part of Dementia Awareness Week.
Staff at Oaklands House residential home, which is part of the Healthcare Homes Group, aimed to highlight the week and raise awareness and support for those living with the condition.
One popular activity was a visit by Zootastic, a mobile petting zoo, to promote pet therapy as a benefit to residents. Among the animals and reptiles visiting the home were a snake, lizard, tortoise and a puppy. Residents were given a short talk on each of the animals by the visiting handlers before being able to touch and hold them.
Rachelle Hudson, activities coordinator at Oaklands House: 'Everyone really loved the visit from Zootastic. We have found that this is extremely affective for people with dementia or perhaps with a low mood or how may be anxious. Symonn and I created a leaflet on the benefits of pet therapy for people living with dementia, which we handed out during the afternoon's activity and are also in the reception area for visitors to read.'
The home provides residential care for up to 29 residents, some of whom live with dementia, and the week was just a small part of the ongoing work to provide fun and stimulating activities for residents.
You may also want to watch:
Home manager Sandra Saunders added: 'It's been really enjoyable, whilst also helping to raise awareness of dementia within our community and amongst relatives and friends. By providing activities like this, we aim to stimulate past memories, or encourage residents to remember or talk about interests and happy times; we certainly achieved that with Zootastic's help.'
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 4 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 5 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 8 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 9 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home