Roar Lowestoft’s Anthony Ogogo on to glory as he prepares to star in Splash!
- Credit: Archant
HE has already taken the plunge and joined the professional boxing ranks.
But Lowestoft's Olympic hero Anthony Ogogo will be taking a leap of a very different kind next weekend – when he dives in at the deep end in front of millions of TV viewers.
The 24-year-old, who won a middleweight bronze medal at London 2012, will joining 13 other celebrities in the new ITV1 Saturday evening show Splash! hosted by Team GB's diving star Tom Daley.
Daley, himself an Olympic bronze medallist, is mentoring a group of actors, comedians, presenters and sports stars as they attempt to master one of sport's most difficult disciplines.
Anthony, who is filling in time before entering full-time boxing training, is appearing on next Saturday's show – in competition with interior designer Linda Barker, comedian Dom Joly and actress Tina Malone.
You may also want to watch:
Anthony, who used to swim for Suffolk and for the former Oulton Broad Swimming and Diving Club and the Lowestoft Swimming Club (now LOBSC), said: 'I was not a bad swimmer, but was known more for my power and strength – not for the finesse of my dives. I don't where this (bookies) favourite tag has come from!
'These diving boards are really, really high and knowing that millions of people are watching, I think I'll be fairly nervous walking up those steps. I am enjoying it though and will be doing something a bit different with my dive.
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 7 Boat rescued after getting into difficulty near pier
- 8 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 9 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 10 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
'I'm looking forward to it.'
Calling on people in Lowestoft and Waveney community to rally round and vote for their local star, he added: 'Hopefully I can finish in the top two to get into the semi- final and who knows from there.'