Rock to arrive to help with Lowestoft beach repairs
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of tonnes of rock is due to arrive in Lowestoft next week as part of repairs to the town's south beach.
The 14,000-tonne delivery - expected to arrive in Hopton on Friday, July 10 - will be used to create protective structures in front of the seawall at Children's Corner.
David Ritchie, Waveney District Council's cabinet member for planning and coastal management, said: 'The arrival of the rock signifies a key stage in phase two of the coastal protection works.'
However Waveney District Council has appealed for people's co-operation while the works take place, as it has warned the delivery may cause noise and vibrational disturbance.
Mr Ritchie added: 'This is vital work which will offer erosion protection to the south beach.
You may also want to watch:
'However we do appreciate that local residents, businesses and visitors may be inconvenienced during this time.'
He added that working hours had been changed from the original proposed time to reduce the impact of noise on residents and businesses after concerns were raised at drop-in events. 'We are also mindful of events taking place on Royal Green, such as the Lowestoft Summer Festival, and we will ensure work does not have an impact on these events,' Mr Ritchie said.
- 1 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 4 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 5 New shop set to open in prominent town centre store
- 6 Pizza branch to expand into another unit
- 7 Air ambulance responds after man suffers emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 9 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 10 Power tools stolen during Lowestoft shed burglary
What do you think of the work to repair the south beach? Write, giving your full contact details, to: Journal Postbox, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft NR32 1NB or email email@example.com