Dog walker warns of ‘rotten and odious’ lump of palm oil on beach
- Credit: Archant
A dog walker has warned others of the dangers of palm oil after being forced to take his dog to the vet after spotting a giant lump in Southwold.
Steve Walker's dog Chilli, a Jack Russell, was taken to the vet after Mr Walker spotted teethmarks in a giant lump of palm oil near to the south pier close to the start of the River Blyth.
Mr Walker said; 'I saw a massive white lump which was stinking, It was a rotten smell, odious, but that is attractive to dogs.
'I saw there were some teethmarks in it and decided to take him to the vet just in case.'
A spokesman for Waveney District Council said: 'Palm oil continues to be present along the coastline and as before, we advise dog walkers to be aware when walking on the beach.
You may also want to watch:
Although palm oil is not toxic, it can cause illness in animals if ingested in quantity.
'Dog walkers are advised to take precautions to prevent their pets from eating anything found on the beach. This may include keeping dogs under close control, on leads or muzzled if considered appropriate.'
- 1 New shops could be unveiled at prominent former family-run business
- 2 New lease of life with go-ahead for apartments above former McDonalds
- 3 Man jailed after police seize cannabis worth £15,000 from car
- 4 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 5 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 6 Jewellery stolen after burglars raid home in Lowestoft
- 7 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 8 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 9 Further overnight works scheduled for A47 with north Lowestoft closure
- 10 'Suspicious' sighting in the sea sparks late night response in Lowestoft